How to Simplify a Double Integral with Exponential and Power Functions?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a double integral involving constants, variables, and a one-to-one function. The suggested method is to make one of the variables a new variable and then integrate with respect to the other. However, this approach may require the use of a Jacobian Matrix.
vineel49

Homework Statement

$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_0^{Inf} {e^{ - aX - bY} \cdot F(X + Y + c)} }\cdot X^d \cdot Y^e \cdot dX \cdot dY\right]$$

Homework Equations

a,b,c are constants; d & e are non negative integers; X and Y are variables.
F is a one to one function. Please simplify. The answer is in single Integrals. Leave the Function F as it is.

The Attempt at a Solution

put X+Y=V, Y=U

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vineel49 said:
I am new to this forum, so I am not able to convert it to equation

Last edited:
Try two dollar signs, $ $ without the space, at both ends:
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_0^{Inf} {e^{ - aX - bY} \cdot F(X + Y + c)} }\cdot X^d \cdot Y^e \cdot dX \cdot dY\right]$$
I also changed "\[" and "\]" to "\left[" and "\right]",.

Without knowing the function F, I don't see any way to simplify that.

F is a one to one function. Please simplify in such a way that the answer is left out with only a single Integral. Please simplify as much as possible. Leave the Function F as it is.

hi vineel49! :smile:
vineel49 said:
Please simplify in such a way that the answer is left out with only a single Integral.

well, the obvious way is to make X + Y + c one of two new variables, and then integrate wrt the other :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi vineel49! :smile:

well, the obvious way is to make X + Y + c one of two new variables, and then integrate wrt the other :wink:
It is not that simple, I am trying since morning on this one.

what did you get when you tried it? :smile:

Related to How to Simplify a Double Integral with Exponential and Power Functions?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical calculation used to find the volume under a 3-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the x-y plane.

2. How do I know when to use a double integral?

A double integral is typically used when you need to find the volume, area, or mass of a 3-dimensional object or when you are dealing with a function that involves two variables.

3. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use techniques such as Fubini's theorem, integration by parts, or substitution to evaluate the integral.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral include forgetting to include the limits of integration, mixing up the order of integration, and making algebraic errors during the integration process.

5. Are there any online tools or resources that can help me solve a double integral?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for solving double integrals, such as integral calculators, step-by-step guides, and video tutorials. It's always a good idea to double-check your work with these resources to ensure accuracy.