How to Simplify the Expression (6w2-w-3) + (7w2-4w+5)

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression (6w2-w-3) + (7w2-4w+5) and explores different ways to approach this task. The speaker suggests combining like terms and potentially finding a complex factorization to simplify the expression.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Simplify, if possible.

(6w2-w-3) + (7w2-4w+5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to factor both expressions, but they don't seem to be factorable. Is this already simplified as much as possible, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplify is a bit of a vague request, since putting an expression in its simplest form can mean a couple of different things.

In the least, you can combine like powers to make a reduced quadratic. I think it has a complex factorization though from there.

I'm sure there are many other ways to build equivalent expressions that you can partially factor to get something that might look simpler, but it's hard to tell what you are looking for.

I think you just add like terms and then see if factorization is possible.

FAQ: How to Simplify the Expression (6w2-w-3) + (7w2-4w+5)

1. What does it mean to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression involves manipulating the given mathematical expression to make it easier to understand and work with. This is done by combining like terms, applying the correct order of operations, and using algebraic rules to reduce the expression to its simplest form.

2. Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions is important because it helps us solve complex mathematical problems more efficiently and accurately. It also allows us to better understand the underlying structure and patterns within an expression.

3. What are some common rules for simplifying expressions?

Some common rules for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, using the correct order of operations (PEMDAS), and applying distributive property. It is also important to remember that multiplication and division should be done before addition and subtraction.

4. How do you know when an expression is fully simplified?

An expression is fully simplified when there are no more like terms that can be combined and all parentheses have been removed. In some cases, the expression may also need to be factored to be considered fully simplified.

5. What are some tips for simplifying expressions more efficiently?

Some tips for simplifying expressions more efficiently include organizing the terms in a logical order, using shortcuts (such as combining like terms mentally), and practicing regularly to become more familiar with common algebraic rules and patterns.