How to Simplify the Expression sin60° + sin20°?

In summary, the question is asking for the product of sin60° and sin20°. The answer is 2sin(60+20/2)cos(60+20/2), which is 1.208.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Simplifying Trig Products

Homework Statement

Express the following as a product and simplify.
sin60° + sin20°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the question is trying to say. For example, do I convert sin60° and then add. I don't understand. Someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, [tex]\sqrt{3}/2[/tex] + sin20°
= 1.208

Could this be right?

Last edited:
Hi rum2563,
I don't think you are required to solve it, you just ned to rewrite it in a different form.
You will need to use a trig identity which converts the sum to a product.
Moridin has pointed you in the right direction with the hint: "sin a + sin b = some product".
Look on the webpage Moridin has provided a link to and the equation you need is located under Sum-to-Product Formulas.

Thanks Evalesco.

So, here it is:

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin(60+20/2)cos(60+20/2)

Is this right?

Also, because of the fact that you pointed this to me, there is another question I have.

The question states:
Using the method developed in Example 3 (my note: we don't have the book so we don't know what this method is) of this section, prove each of the following Transformation Formulas.

sinx - siny = 2cos(x+y/2)sin(x-y/2)

Could someone please help me with this? Also, thanks Evalesco and Moridin for helping me out.

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin(60+20/2)cos(60+20/2)

Not quite; apply the correct formula under the headline "Sum-to-Product Formulas" and do not forget the signs or what should be divided with two.

http://hh4.hollandhall.org/kluitwieler/pages/Advanced_Trig/Trig%20Frog%20Homepage/sumtoproduct.htm

About 10 seconds ago, I looked at the above webpage.

Here is what I came up with now:

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin40°cos20°

I hope finally it is correct.

Also, can you please help me with my second question which I posted in the last post? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it's correct.
sinx - siny = 2cos(x+y/2)sin(x-y/2)

Did you mean sinx - siny = 2cos((x+y)/2)sin((x-y)/2)?

I will start you out on one way of showing the above

Start out with sinx - siny

[tex] Then \ let \ x=\frac{x+y}{2}+\frac{x-y}{2} \ and \ let \ y=\frac{x+y}{2}-\frac{x-y}{2}[/tex]

You will find the identities sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b) and sin(a-b) = sin(a)cos(b)-cos(a)sin(b) will come in handy for the next step.

Let me know how you get on.

Yes, I finally got it.

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin((x+y)/2)cos((x-y)/2)

A + B = 60°
A - B = 20°
---------- +
2A = 80°
A = 40°

A + B = 60°
A - B = 20°
---------- -
2B = 40°
B = 20°

sin60° + sin20° = 2sin(40°)cos(20°)

Yes, I finally got it. But could there have been an easier way? Or is this good enough? I tried my best anyways.

Thanks to Evalesco and Moridin for helping me out.

FAQ: How to Simplify the Expression sin60° + sin20°?

What is the purpose of simplifying trig products?

Simplifying trig products allows for easier calculation and manipulation of trigonometric expressions. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

How do I simplify a trig product?

To simplify a trig product, you can use trigonometric identities and properties, such as the double angle formula or the Pythagorean identities. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques, such as factoring or expanding.

What are some common mistakes when simplifying trig products?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the appropriate trigonometric identities or properties. Another mistake is not distributing the negative sign properly when factoring out a negative from a trig product. It is also common to make arithmetic errors when simplifying complex trig products.

Can I simplify all trig products?

No, not all trig products can be simplified. Some trig products may already be in their simplest form and cannot be further simplified. Others may require the use of advanced trigonometric identities or calculus techniques to simplify.

What are some real-life applications of simplifying trig products?

Simplifying trig products is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving angles, triangles, and periodic functions. It is also important in computer graphics and animation, where trigonometric functions are used to create visual effects.