How to simplify this boolean algebra (logic)

In summary, to simplify a boolean algebra expression, you can use the product-of-sum method. This involves converting the expression into its complement form and then using De Morgan's laws to expand it. The new terms can be added by canceling out the complement terms of the original expression.
aruwin
This is related to logic circuits.
How do I simplify this boolean algebra(logic) into its simplest expression?

h = (abc + abd + acd + bcd)’

My first attempt would be to change it into product-of-sum.
h = (abc)'(abd)'(acd)'(bcd)'

and then what next?

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
This is related to logic circuits.
How do I simplify this boolean algebra(logic) into its simplest expression?

h = (abc + abd + acd + bcd)’

My first attempt would be to change it into product-of-sum.

and then what next?

= (a'+b'+c')(a'+b'+d')(a'+c'+d')(b'+c'+d')

= (a'+b'+c'+d)(a'+b'+c'+d')(a'+b'+c+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')(a'+b+c'+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')(a+b'+c'+d') (a'+b'+c'+d')

=(a'+b'+c'+d)(a'+b'+c+d')(a'+b+c'+d')(a+b'+c'+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')

I hope it is correct..

i_madini said:

= (a'+b'+c')(a'+b'+d')(a'+c'+d')(b'+c'+d')

= (a'+b'+c'+d)(a'+b'+c'+d')(a'+b'+c+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')(a'+b+c'+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')(a+b'+c'+d') (a'+b'+c'+d')

=(a'+b'+c'+d)(a'+b'+c+d')(a'+b+c'+d')(a+b'+c'+d')(a'+b'+c'+d')

I hope it is correct..

Could you explain to me how you add the new terms into the expression?

Let's assume we have :

F = A'+AB

= A'(B+B') + AB # B+B'= 1, will not affect the equation.

= A'B + (A'B' + AB) # Cancel each other.

= A'B

By the same way :)

The next step would be to use De Morgan's laws to simplify the expression further. We can apply De Morgan's laws to the parentheses, which would result in the following expression:

h = (a'+b'+c')(a'+b'+d')(a'+c'+d')(b'+c'+d')

We can then use the distributive property to expand the expression and eliminate any redundant terms. This would result in the simplest expression for h:

h = a'b'c' + a'b'd' + a'c'd' + b'c'd'

Related to How to simplify this boolean algebra (logic)

1. How do I simplify a boolean algebra expression?

To simplify a boolean algebra expression, you can use the basic laws and rules of boolean algebra, such as the distributive law, commutative law, and associative law. You can also use truth tables or Karnaugh maps to help visualize and simplify the expression.

2. What are the basic laws of boolean algebra?

The basic laws of boolean algebra include the commutative law, associative law, distributive law, identity law, inverse law, and absorption law. These laws can be used to manipulate and simplify boolean algebra expressions.

3. How do I use a truth table to simplify a boolean algebra expression?

A truth table is a table that lists all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs for a boolean expression. To simplify a boolean algebra expression using a truth table, you can compare the outputs for each combination and identify any patterns or simplifications.

4. What is a Karnaugh map and how can it help simplify boolean algebra expressions?

A Karnaugh map is a graphical method for simplifying boolean algebra expressions. It is a grid with cells that represent all possible combinations of inputs. By grouping together cells with the same output, you can identify simplified expressions and reduce the number of terms in the expression.

5. Are there any tools or software programs that can simplify boolean algebra expressions?

Yes, there are various tools and software programs available that can simplify boolean algebra expressions. Some examples include WolframAlpha, Symbolab, and Boolean Algebra Calculator. These tools can help with simplifying complex expressions and provide step-by-step solutions.