How to simulate Op-Amp in MATLAB

In summary: The 'controlled voltage source' block takes in a number and gives out a number. You need to connect it to the 'sum' block as the first input, and then connect the 'input' point of the 'sum' block to the 'output' point of the 'controlled voltage source' block.
jean28
Good day. Could anyone tell me how to simulate an equivalent Operational Amplifier in Simulink? I read somewhere that I had to do it with 2 adders and a gain block, but I don't know how. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
---(-ve Input)----
......| (- +)SUM | ----|-Gain-> --- |Saturation Block| ---> (output)
---(+ve Input)---

Set gain very high, like 10,000. Saturation Block is used to limit the output to within certain range; for real hardware op-amps the output would saturate at power supply voltage levels.

I_am_learning said:
---(-ve Input)----
......| (- +)SUM | ----|-Gain-> --- |Saturation Block| ---> (output)
---(+ve Input)---

Set gain very high, like 10,000. Saturation Block is used to limit the output to within certain range; for real hardware op-amps the output would saturate at power supply voltage levels.
Ok thanks for that. Now, for some reason the resistors and capacitors don't want to connect to the Sum block. I tried the SimpowerSystems and Simscape blocks and they don't connect. Do you know why?

Blocks are very restrictive of what type of signals are input and what types are output.
Resisters and capacitors take 'voltage' signals as input but the 'sum' block needs pure signal (number) as input. 'Voltage Measurement Block' and 'Variable Voltage source' can convert signal of one form to other.
In short, the blocks don't connect because the signal types don't match.

I_am_learning said:
Blocks are very restrictive of what type of signals are input and what types are output.
Resisters and capacitors take 'voltage' signals as input but the 'sum' block needs pure signal (number) as input. 'Voltage Measurement Block' and 'Variable Voltage source' can convert signal of one form to other.

That is great information. Is there any specific source or book that you can recommend me to learn all of these things?

I'll try to set up the whole model later on and tell you if I need any help.

P.S. Does the saturation block require another converter?

I_am_learning said:

What converter do I need to put to the saturation block to be able to measure the output voltage?

The voltage measurement block measures 'voltage difference between two points' only. So, you need to connect both of its two input.

The saturation block takes in pure number and gives out pure number. To convert it to voltage signal use a 'controlled voltage source' block.
http://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/powersys/ref/controlledvoltagesource.html

You can learn a great deal about various blocks by opening their configuration panel (double click) and choosing help.

Last edited:
I_am_learning said:
The voltage measurement block measures 'voltage difference between two points' only. So, you need to connect both of its two input.

The saturation block takes in pure number and gives out pure number. To convert it to voltage signal use a 'controlled voltage source' block.
http://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/powersys/ref/controlledvoltagesource.html

You can learn a great deal about various blocks by opening their configuration panel (double click) and choosing help.

Ok, so I connected the voltage measurement blocks and then added the controlled voltage source block and I still get some weird error. What's wrong now? Did I connect the voltage measurement blocks wrong?

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/modelo2attempt.jpg

Related to How to simulate Op-Amp in MATLAB

1. How do I simulate an Op-Amp circuit in MATLAB?

To simulate an Op-Amp circuit in MATLAB, you will need to use the built-in functions from the Control Systems Toolbox. These functions allow you to create a transfer function for the Op-Amp circuit and then use the "step" or "impulse" commands to simulate the response of the circuit.

2. Can I simulate non-linear Op-Amp circuits in MATLAB?

Yes, you can simulate non-linear Op-Amp circuits in MATLAB by using the "nonlinear" function from the Control Systems Toolbox. This function allows you to specify the non-linearities in the circuit and simulate the response accordingly.

3. How do I plot the output response of the Op-Amp circuit in MATLAB?

To plot the output response of the Op-Amp circuit in MATLAB, you can use the "plot" command after simulating the circuit. You can also use the "step" or "impulse" commands with the "plot" command to directly plot the step or impulse response of the circuit.

4. Can I simulate noise in an Op-Amp circuit using MATLAB?

Yes, you can simulate noise in an Op-Amp circuit using the "additive noise" function from the Signal Processing Toolbox. This function allows you to add different types of noise to the input signal of the circuit and simulate the response accordingly.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my Op-Amp circuit simulation in MATLAB?

To verify the accuracy of your Op-Amp circuit simulation in MATLAB, you can compare the simulated response with the expected response from theoretical calculations or measurements. You can also use the "bode" or "nyquist" commands to plot the frequency response of the simulated circuit and compare it with the expected response.