How to Solve a Challenging Trig Equation with Identities?

• Thread starter kscplay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem involves simplifying the equation 2sin(4x)-sin(2x)-(√3)cos(2x)=0 using trigonometry identities and converting it to the form sin(α)=sin(β). The Weierstrass substitution method can be used to transform the equation into a polynomial in t (tan(x)) which can then be solved to find the value of x.
kscplay

Homework Statement

2sin(4x)-sin(2x)-(√3)cos(2x)=0

x is [0,2π]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using trig identities:
8sinxcos3x-6sinxcosx-√3(2cos2x-1)

Please help me with this problem. I have no idea where to go from here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've further simplified it to:

4sin2x−tan2x−√3=0

Does this make it easier? Please help.

Last edited:
I was going to give this a try but had to head off to work, but now that I'm looking at it I'm honestly stuck as well...

kscplay said:
Using trig identities:
8sinxcos3x-6sinxcosx-√3(2cos2x-1)

This doesn't seem to be making things simpler.

kscplay said:
4sin2x−tan2x−√3=0

Does this make it easier? Please help.
I got here also and couldn't do much with it.

I also converted [tex]\sin(2x)+\sqrt{3}\cos(2x)[/tex] into the [tex]R\sin(2x+\theta)[/tex] form and got [tex]2\sin(2x+\frac{\pi}{3})[/tex]

so what needs to be solved now is

[tex]\sin(4x)=\sin(2x+\frac{\pi}{3})[/tex]

But I'm kind of stuck here as well.

We'll get back to you!

sin(4x)=sin(2x+π/3)

When sin(α)=sin(β) either

α=β+2kπ

or

α=(π-β)+2kπ.

ehild

Last edited:
First, make everything in the angle 2x. This gives (as you already know)

[tex]4\sin(2x)\cos(2x)-\sin(2x)-(√3)\cos(2x)=0[/tex]

Now the trick is to use Weierstrass substitution (which is a handy technique in integration but it works here too).

Let [itex]t=\tan(x)[/itex], then

[tex]\sin(2x)=\frac{2t}{1+t^2},~\cos(2x)=\frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}[/tex]

this will give a polynomial in t which should be easier to solve.

Not saying that this is the easiest way, but it gives a solution nonetheless.

Thanks guys :)

FAQ: How to Solve a Challenging Trig Equation with Identities?

1. How do I solve a challenging trig equation?

Solving a challenging trig equation involves using the properties and rules of trigonometric functions, such as the Pythagorean identities and trigonometric identities, to simplify the equation and isolate the variable. It may also involve using techniques such as substitution, factoring, or the quadratic formula to solve for the variable.

2. What are some common strategies for solving challenging trig equations?

Some common strategies for solving challenging trig equations include simplifying the equation using trigonometric identities, substituting known values for variables, and using algebraic techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

3. How do I know if my solution to a challenging trig equation is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and your solution to visually confirm that they intersect at the same point.

4. Can challenging trig equations have more than one solution?

Yes, challenging trig equations can have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple values for a given trigonometric function that satisfy the equation, or when the equation has complex solutions.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of challenging trig equations in real-life situations?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. By understanding how to solve challenging trig equations, you can apply your knowledge to solve practical problems involving angles, distances, and other measurements.

Back