How to Solve a Fluid Dynamics Problem with Bernoulli’s Equation?

In summary, the water is supplied at a speed of 0.5 m/s, but the pipe diameter is different depending on the height of the water main.
fysics4fun

Homework Statement

A very large open water tank has a 50 cm diameter output pipe connected 10 m above the water main which is 6 cm in diameter. If the gauge pressure in the water main reads 9.8 E4 Pa what is the speed at which the water is supplied?
The answer should be 0.5 m/s but I can't see how with Bernoulli's equation. The gauge pressure given is exactly what the pressure change would be (roh g h) when height is the only factor. If the velocity term drops because of no velocity change tho, how can the pipe diameters be different?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's

The Attempt at a Solution

The gauge pressure given is exactly what the pressure change would be (roh g h) when height is the only factor. If the velocity term drops because of no velocity change tho, how can the pipe diameters be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
fysics4fun said:

Homework Statement

A very large open water tank has a 50 cm diameter output pipe connected 10 m above the water main which is 6 cm in diameter. If the gauge pressure in the water main reads 9.8 E4 Pa what is the speed at which the water is supplied?
The answer should be 0.5 m/s but I can't see how with Bernoulli's equation. The gauge pressure given is exactly what the pressure change would be (roh g h) when height is the only factor. If the velocity term drops because of no velocity change tho, how can the pipe diameters be different?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's

The Attempt at a Solution

The gauge pressure given is exactly what the pressure change would be (roh g h) when height is the only factor. If the velocity term drops because of no velocity change tho, how can the pipe diameters be different?

Hmm. As you say, the pressure in the inlet pipe corresponds to a head of water that is the same as the supposed elevation of the outlet pipe above it. Perhaps the precise geometry becomes significant. Is the 10m pipe separation center to center? Top of one to the bottom of the other? Is the outlet pipe actually full? Does it empty into free air, or an open pond at the same level? Is the pressure change with depth across the face of the outlet pipe significant (different flow rates across its cross-section)?

We are not provided any details other than the problem stated just as it is. I am a teacher, and I put this question on Friday's exam (as extra credit) without looking at it very closely, unfortunately (it looks easy at first glance!) Now I have to explain it tomorrow and I don't know how :P
I'm starting to think it's just a badly written problem, but I'd like a few more responses to give me confidence that I'm not missing something.

I REALLY appreciate your input- I've been dying waiting to hear from people...

FAQ: How to Solve a Fluid Dynamics Problem with Bernoulli’s Equation?

What is a "Physics fluids problem"?

A "Physics fluids problem" is a question or scenario that involves the study of fluid mechanics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion.

What are some common examples of physics fluids problems?

Common examples of physics fluids problems include calculating the pressure and velocity of water flowing through a pipe, determining the buoyant force on a submerged object, and analyzing the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing.

What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help to explain the behavior of fluids and can be applied to solve physics fluids problems.

What is the difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics is their compressibility. Liquids are relatively incompressible, meaning that their volume does not change significantly under pressure, while gases are highly compressible and can change volume significantly under pressure.

How are physics fluids problems relevant in real life?

Physics fluids problems are relevant in many real-life situations, such as designing efficient water systems for cities, understanding weather patterns and atmospheric conditions, and designing safe and efficient modes of transportation like airplanes and cars.

Back