How to Solve a System of Three Equations with Three Unknowns?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mkelly18790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, a 3 equation system is a set of three equations that can be solved simultaneously to find values for multiple variables. This is useful in many fields and can be solved using methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. Common challenges include determining which method to use and keeping track of all the steps. To check if a solution is correct, one can substitute the values into the equations or graph them to see if they intersect at the correct point.
mkelly18790
How do I do:

a + b = 3
-b + c = 3
a + 2c = 10

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by adding the first two equations, and then you have the 2X2 system:

\(\displaystyle a+c=6\)

\(\displaystyle a+2c=10\)

Now, try subtracting the first from the second to get $c$, then use the first along with the value for $c$ to find $a$, and then once you have $a$ and $c$, you can use either the first or second equation from the original system to find $b$. :D

What do you find?

Related to How to Solve a System of Three Equations with Three Unknowns?

What is a 3 equation system?

A 3 equation system is a set of three equations that are related to each other and have multiple variables. These equations can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all three equations.

How do you solve a 3 equation system?

To solve a 3 equation system, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. Each method involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

What is the importance of solving a 3 equation system?

Solving a 3 equation system is important because it allows us to find the values of multiple variables that satisfy a set of equations. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where multiple equations are used to model complex systems.

What are the common challenges in solving a 3 equation system?

One common challenge in solving a 3 equation system is determining which method to use. Different methods may be more suitable for certain types of equations or variables. Another challenge is keeping track of all the steps and equations involved, as it can be easy to make a mistake or get lost in the process.

How can I check if my solution to a 3 equation system is correct?

To check if your solution to a 3 equation system is correct, you can substitute the values of the variables into each equation and see if they satisfy all three equations. Alternatively, you can graph the equations and see if the point of intersection matches the values you found.