How to Solve a System Using Gaussian Elimination Without Backward Substitution?

In summary: This means you will continue reducing the matrix until it is in reduced row-echelon form without stopping at the point where back substitution would normally occur. This will give you a final matrix where the solution can be read directly from the right-hand side column.
princejan7

Homework Statement

I'm given a system of equations and I'm told to:
Solve this system by hand in 4-decimal digit arithmetic with rounding, using Gaussian elimination without
pivoting and backward substitution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When they say 'without backward substitution', what am I supposed to do instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

Solve this system by hand in 4-decimal digit arithmetic with rounding, using Gaussian elimination without

Homework Equations

When they say 'without backward substitution', what am I supposed to do instead?
I believe this means to completely reduce the matrix (reduced row-echelon form) so that the leading nonzero entry of each row is 1, and all entries above or below the 1 entry are 0.

In other words, it should look something like this:
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & ... & 0 & | & a \\ 0 & 1 & ... & 0 & | & b \\ . & . & ... & . &| . \\ 0 & 0 & ... & 1 & | & f \end{bmatrix}$$

Last edited:
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you use Gaussian elimination you cannot avoid using back substitution. However, if you use Gauss-Jordan elimination you avoid back substitution.

Related to How to Solve a System Using Gaussian Elimination Without Backward Substitution?

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of equations that involve two or more variables and can be solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables that satisfy all the equations.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then substituting that value into the other equation(s) to find the solution.

What is the importance of systems of linear equations in science?

Systems of linear equations are important in science because they can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve problems involving multiple variables.

What is the difference between a consistent and an inconsistent system of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution, meaning the equations intersect at a single point. An inconsistent system has no solutions, meaning the equations do not intersect at any point. This can happen when the equations are parallel or when they represent parallel lines in a three-dimensional space.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. If the equations represent the same line, they have infinite solutions. If they represent parallel lines, they have no solutions. In all other cases, there is a unique solution.