How to Solve Basic Physics Problems: Tension, Force, and Acceleration

In summary, Raza asked three physics questions and received two responses. For question 1, the force required to accelerate a 1700 kg car at 0.50m/s^2 on a frictionless surface is 850 kgm/s^2. For question 2, part (a) asks for the force applied by a 0.15kg baseball traveling at 35.0m/s on a catcher's mitt, which is 5.25 kgm/s^2. Part (b) asks for the force applied by the mitt on the ball, which can be found using Newton's Third Law. For question 3, part (a) asks for the acceleration of a parachutist experiencing a downward force
Raza
Hello,
Just couple of of Physics questions. I want to make sure I got them right.

1.How much force (tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1700 kg car at 0.50m/s^2 on a frictionless surface.
I got:
[tex](1700)(0.50)[/tex]

[tex]F=850\frac{kgm}{s^2}[/tex]

2.A 0.15kg baseball traveling at 35.0m/s strikes the catcher's mitt which recoils backwards 10 cm as it brings the ball to rest.
A) What was the force applied by the ball on the glove?
[tex](0.15)(35)[/tex]
[tex]F=5.25\frac{kgm}{s^2}[/tex]
B) What was the force applied by the glove on the ball?
I don't know how to do this one

3.A parachutist is moving downward with a force due to gravity of 630N experience a a fricitonal air resistence of 450N.
A)Calculate the acceleration of the parachutist.
[tex]630-450=180M(Down)[/tex]
B)Calclation the acceleration of the block.

[tex]A=\frac{F}{M}[/tex]

[tex]F=(M)(G)[/tex]

[tex]180=(M)(9.8)[/tex]

[tex]M=\frac{180}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]M=18.36[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{180}{18.36}[/tex]

[tex]A=9.8[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like the last two. For the third you are right up until F = MG where you for some reason assume the mass is variable with force as opposed to the acceleration. For #2, use the fact that [tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/tex] to find the acceleration. From there it's trivial to find the force.

vsage said:
I don't like the last two.

What do you mean you don't like them??

Anyway Raza, for question 2(b) you need to know Newton's Third Law: the magntiude force [tex]F_{AB}[/tex] on A due to B equals the magnitude of the force on B due to A, [tex]F_{BA}[/tex] and these forces are equal and opposite:

[tex]\vec{F_{AB}} = -\vec{F_{BA}}[/tex]

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Vivek

Related to How to Solve Basic Physics Problems: Tension, Force, and Acceleration

1. What topics are covered in Grade 11 Physics?

Grade 11 Physics typically covers topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, waves, and electricity. Students will also learn about scientific methods and how to design and conduct experiments.

2. What are the key concepts in Grade 11 Physics?

Some key concepts in Grade 11 Physics include velocity, acceleration, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, sound and light waves, and electric and magnetic fields.

3. How can I prepare for Grade 11 Physics?

To prepare for Grade 11 Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, particularly algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to review basic physics concepts from previous grades and familiarize yourself with scientific notation and units of measurement.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Grade 11 Physics?

Some common misconceptions about Grade 11 Physics include the idea that all objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass, that energy and work are the same thing, and that electric and magnetic fields are the same type of force.

5. What are the real-world applications of Grade 11 Physics?

Grade 11 Physics has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects in sports, designing structures to withstand forces, developing new technologies for communication and transportation, and understanding natural phenomena such as sound and light waves.