How to Solve Binomial Expansion Problems?

• Thread starter n3rdwannab3
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the value of n in the expansion of (1+x)^n where three consecutive coefficients are in the ratio 6:14:21. By using the formula for nCr, we can set up two equations using the given ratios and solve for n and r.
n3rdwannab3
Bionomial Expansions help :)

Homework Statement

A) Three consecutive coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n are in the ratio 6:14:21. Find the value of n.

B) Find the independent term in the [2x + 1 - 1/(2x^2)]^6 (independent term is x^0)

C) In the expansion of (1 + ax)^n the first term is 1, the second term is 24x, and the third term is 252x^2. Find the values of a and n

D) In the expansion of (x + a)^3(x - b)^6, the coefficient of x^7 is -9 and there is no x^8 term. Find a and b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I realized that the coefficients are n C r, n C (r+1), and n C (r+2), and that they are in ratio of 6:14:21. However I am not sure how to find n after this step.

B) I tried substituting a variable y { let y = 2x - 1/(2x^2) } to form (y + 1)^6. I could expand it all out and test each term using the general term of binomial expansion, but that would be very tedious. I am wondering if there is a better solution

C) I simplified C) to (a)(n C 1) = 24 and (a^2)(n C 2) = 252. Now I'm stuck on what to do next

D) I've simplified it to 5b^2 -6ab + a^2 = -3 and -2b^2 +a = 0. I'm not sure how to proceed from this.

Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

n3rdwannab3 said:

Homework Statement

A) Three consecutive coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n are in the ratio 6:14:21. Find the value of n.

B) Find the independent term in the [2x + 1 - 1/(2x^2)]^6 (independent term is x^0)

C) In the expansion of (1 + ax)^n the first term is 1, the second term is 24x, and the third term is 252x^2. Find the values of a and n

D) In the expansion of (x + a)^3(x - b)^6, the coefficient of x^7 is -9 and there is no x^8 term. Find a and b.

Homework Equations

A) I realized that the coefficients are n C r, n C (r+1), and n C (r+2), and that they are in ratio of 6:14:21. However I am not sure how to find n after this step.

B) I tried substituting a variable y { let y = 2x - 1/(2x^2) } to form (y + 1)^6. I could expand it all out and test each term using the general term of binomial expansion, but that would be very tedious. I am wondering if there is a better solution

C) I simplified C) to (a)(n C 1) = 24 and (a^2)(n C 2) = 252. Now I'm stuck on what to do next

D) I've simplified it to 5b^2 -6ab + a^2 = -3 and -2b^2 +a = 0. I'm not sure how to proceed from this.

You have formulas for C(n,r) and C(n,r+1), so you can compute and simplify the ratio C(n,r)/C(n,r+1), and set that equal to 6/14. That is one equation for n and r. Do the same for n and (r+1). Be careful to simplify the ratio as much as you can before proceeding!

RGV

Let's wait and hope that a Moderator splits this up, before we get too far into helping.

It is several questions at once (please don't do that), but maybe we can handle them at once since the OP did post work on each?

berkeman said:
It is several questions at once (please don't do that), but maybe we can handle them at once since the OP did post work on each?
Okee-Dokee.

SammyS said:
Okee-Dokee.

Sorry Sammy. You are a huge helper. Should this be split up?

n3rdwannab3 said:

Homework Statement

nCr is given by:

[itex]\displaystyle _{n}C_{r}=\frac{n!}{r\,!\,(n-r)!}[/itex]

So, for instance: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{_{n}C_{r-1}}{_{n}C_{r}}=\frac{\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(r-1)!\,(n-r+1)!}}{\displaystyle \frac{n!}{r\,!\,(n-r)!}}=\frac{r\,!\,(n-r)!}{(r-1)!\,(n-r+1)!}=\frac{r}{n-r+1}=\frac{6}{14}[/itex]

Similarly: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{_{n}C_{r}}{_{n}C_{r+1}}=\frac{14}{21}[/itex]

It's pretty easy to solve these for n and r.

berkeman said:
Sorry Sammy. You are a huge helper. Should this be split up?
No, It'll be OK.

SammyS said:
No, It'll be OK.

:smile:

FAQ: How to Solve Binomial Expansion Problems?

What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression, which is an algebraic expression with two terms. It involves raising the binomial to a given power and then simplifying the resulting expression.

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression to any given power. It states that the expansion of (a + b)^n is equal to the sum of the terms obtained by multiplying a and b with varying exponents.

Why is binomial expansion important?

Binomial expansion is important in algebra and calculus, as it allows us to easily calculate the coefficients and terms of a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of events.

What is the general form of a binomial expansion?

The general form of a binomial expansion is (a + b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1)/2!)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + (nCn-1)a^(n-n+1)b^(n-1) + b^n, where n is the power to which the binomial is raised and nCk represents the binomial coefficient.

How do you calculate the coefficients in a binomial expansion?

The coefficients in a binomial expansion can be calculated using the binomial theorem or Pascal's triangle. The binomial coefficient nCk represents the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects and can be calculated using the formula nCk = n! / (k!(n-k)!).

Back