How to Solve for Terminal Voltage in a Circuit with an Unknown Battery

• Thread starter Angie K.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: The potential drop across the 4k resistor is 2.1 mA so the current through the 8k resistor is 2.1 mA. Continuing, the current through the rest of the circuit is: The current through the 4k resistor, the 8k resistor, and the rest of the circuit is 2.1 mA. The terminal voltage of the "unknown" battery is Vba=-2.1+5.4+2.1=8.9 V.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

P26_31.jpg

The current through the 4.0 kΩ resistor in the figure above is 2.1 mA. The resistor R is 5.4 kΩ. What is the terminal voltage Vba of the "unknown" battery? (Note there are two possible answers: one positive and one negative. Give the negative voltage first.)

Homework Equations

Vab=E-Ir
I=E/(R+r)
Kirchhoff's Laws (junction and loop rule)

The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use the equation I=E/(R+r) (converting kiloohms to ohms) and using 12V for E, 88000.9 Ohms for R and 5400 Ohms for r. Is that right, or am not supposed to use the 5400 Ohms for the little r? I'm not really sure what to do from here. I know the direction of the current matters and I chose to calculate it where the current flows from the positive end of the battery. But going from there, I'm totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that the 4k resistor is in parallel with the 8k resistor. What does that tell you about the voltage across (and therefore the current through) the 8k resistor? If you know both of those currents, then do you know the current through the large loop? And if you know that, can you then write some loop equations to accomplish your goal?

Can you explain why you believe that the equation I=E/(R+r) is applicable here? And where does the value 88000.9 Ohms come from?

I suggest that you start by labeling the circuit diagram with known values (pick a direction for the given current --- you'll be doing it again for the other direction in order to cover the two cases). Then start filling in what you can deduce / calculate starting with the known values. I'll start you off: here's your circuit for when the given current is flowing to the left: Can you find the potential drop across the 4k resistor? How about the current through the 8k resistor? Continue.

Fig1.gif

Related to How to Solve for Terminal Voltage in a Circuit with an Unknown Battery

1. What is a terminal voltage problem?

A terminal voltage problem refers to a situation where the output voltage of an electronic device or system is lower than the expected or desired value. This can occur due to a variety of factors, such as a malfunctioning component, incorrect wiring, or power supply issues.

2. How can I identify a terminal voltage problem?

A terminal voltage problem can be identified by measuring the voltage at the output terminal of the device or system. If the measured voltage is significantly lower than the expected value, it indicates a terminal voltage problem. Additionally, any abnormal behavior or malfunctioning of the device can also be a sign of a terminal voltage problem.

3. What are the potential causes of a terminal voltage problem?

There are several potential causes of a terminal voltage problem, including faulty or damaged components, loose or incorrect wiring, insufficient power supply, incorrect settings, or environmental factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to effectively resolve the problem.

4. How can I fix a terminal voltage problem?

The specific steps to fix a terminal voltage problem will depend on the cause of the issue. Some common solutions include replacing faulty components, checking and correcting wiring connections, adjusting settings, and ensuring an adequate power supply. It may also be necessary to consult technical documentation or seek assistance from a professional.

5. Can a terminal voltage problem be prevented?

In some cases, a terminal voltage problem can be prevented by regularly maintaining and inspecting electronic devices and systems. This includes checking for loose connections, cleaning and replacing components as needed, and ensuring proper power supply. However, if the problem is caused by external factors, such as temperature or humidity, prevention may not be possible and proactive troubleshooting may be necessary.