How to Solve for Unknown Forces in Equilibrium Truss Problems?

In summary, a truss in equilibrium is a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams arranged in triangles to support heavy loads and maintain stability. The purpose of analyzing trusses in equilibrium is to determine the internal forces in each member to ensure structural integrity. Assumptions made when analyzing trusses include static equilibrium, frictionless connections, and negligible weight. The method of joints is used to analyze simple truss structures, while more complex indeterminate trusses require special methods. A determinate truss can be solved using equations of static equilibrium, while an indeterminate truss requires additional techniques.
mistophiles
http://www.unm.edu/~hr/images/test/problem.bmp

I am stuck trying to see how to apply the equilibrium equations. I take the moment about point b and get Fce. I need Fbe, and Fbd.

Fbd = 95.6 kip
Fbe = 41.1 kip
Fce = 58.4375 kip

These are the answers. I don't know how they got Fbd and Fbe, any clues??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what units are you working in. I've never heard of 'kip' being used. Ca you tell me what that is.

Regards,

Nenad

It's a kilo-pound.

Related to How to Solve for Unknown Forces in Equilibrium Truss Problems?

1. What is a truss in equilibrium?

A truss in equilibrium is a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams that are arranged to form triangles. It is typically used to support heavy loads and maintain stability in buildings and bridges.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing trusses in equilibrium?

The purpose of analyzing trusses in equilibrium is to determine the internal forces acting on each member of the truss. This information is crucial in designing and constructing a truss that can withstand the expected loads and maintain its structural integrity.

3. What are the main assumptions made when analyzing trusses in equilibrium?

The main assumptions made when analyzing trusses in equilibrium include:

• The truss is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that all forces acting on it cancel each other out.
  • The members of the truss are connected by frictionless pins or hinges, allowing them to rotate freely.
  • The weight of the truss itself is negligible compared to the applied loads.

4. How is the method of joints used to analyze trusses in equilibrium?

The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint of the truss. By summing the forces in the x and y directions at each joint, the internal forces in each member can be determined. This method is useful for simple truss structures with a small number of joints.

5. What is the difference between a determinate and indeterminate truss in equilibrium?

A determinate truss is one in which all the forces can be determined by using the equations of static equilibrium. An indeterminate truss, on the other hand, has more unknown forces than the number of equations available, making it impossible to solve using basic statics. Special methods, such as the method of sections or the method of consistent deformations, must be used to analyze indeterminate trusses.