How to solve how much work is done:

• Thread starter witteliz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Bicyclists in the Tour de France, such as Lance Armstrong, do a significant amount of work during a race. For instance, Armstrong, who weighs 75.0 kg, generates an average of 6.50 W per kilogram of his body mass. In terms of nutritional Calories, this equates to approximately 2.56 x 10^6 nutritional Calories per 80-km race, assuming an average speed of 12.0 m/s. However, without knowing the duration of the race, it is impossible to calculate the exact amount of work he does during the race.
witteliz
Bicyclists in the Tour de France do enormous amounts of work during a race. For example, the average power per kilogram generated by Lance Armstrong (m = 75.0 kg) is 6.50 W per kilogram of his body mass.
(a) How much work does he do during a 80-km race in which his average speed is 12.0 m/s?
(b) Often, the work done is expressed in nutritional Calories rather than in joules. Express the work done in part (a) in terms of nutritional Calories, noting that 1 joule = 2.389 10-4 nutritional Calories.

p=w/t
Ke=1/2 mv^2
w+Kef-Kei

I started with plugging the information I was given into the problems above, but got stuck after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) how long did the race last (for him, anyway)?

Related to How to solve how much work is done:

1. How do I calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d.

2. What units are used to measure work?

The SI unit for work is joules (J). Other commonly used units include Newton-meters (Nm) and kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg•m2/s2).

3. How do I determine the direction of work?

The direction of work is determined by the direction of the force applied. If the force and the displacement are in the same direction, then the work is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work is negative.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in the object losing energy.

5. How is work related to energy?

Work is directly related to energy, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in energy of that object.