How to Solve Laplace-Transformed ODE on Infinite Domain?

• Thread starter timman_24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain Ode
In summary, the conversation is about solving a heat equation with a Laplace transform. The problem arises when the spatial dimension is infinite, and the solution becomes unbounded at both limits. The general approach is to set the constants in the solution to 0, which is possible due to the boundary conditions, and then perform an inverse Laplace transform to obtain a physical solution. This is confirmed by the final answer, which makes sense physically.
timman_24

Homework Statement

I'm working with a heat equation that requires a Laplace transform. I performed the transform and ended up with a basic ODE with a particular solution. I solved for the particular solution and then realized I was working on an infinite domain in my spatial dimension. Maybe I missed this part in class, but how do I go about solving this problem? Let me show you what I have:

ODE:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 T (x,s)}{\partial^2 x }-\frac{s}{\alpha}T(x,s)=-sin(x)[/tex]

Solution:
[tex]U(x,s)=c_1Exp[\sqrt{\frac{s}{\alpha}}x]+c_2Exp[-\sqrt{\frac{s}{\alpha}}x]+\frac{\alpha}{\alpha+s}sin(x)[/tex]

The problem does not give me any boundary conditions other than what the range is which is:

[tex]-\infty<x<\infty[/tex]

How do I go about solving the coefficients in this problem or solving in general? The only other thing I was given was the IC, but it was absorbed in the Laplace transform. The equation blows up at both limits, so I feel something is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general way of working with an infinite spatial domain after doing a Laplace Transform is to reason that for the solution to remain physical, it must remain bounded as x goes to infinity (either positive or negative in your case). The only way this is possible is if both [tex]c_1,c_2[/tex] are 0. That is how the boundary conditions have presented themselves.

To see if this works out appropriately, do an inverse LT after setting the constants to 0, and plug in this solution to the original PDE to see if it satisfies everything.

Okay, so the general solution will vanish leaving the particular, then transform that back using an inverse transform. I'll give it a go and see if it makes sense physically.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Coto, it worked great. I took the inverse laplace transform and got this answer:

[tex]\alpha exp(-\alpha t)sin(x)[/tex]

This answers makes sense physically.

Of course :). Glad it worked.

FAQ: How to Solve Laplace-Transformed ODE on Infinite Domain?

1. What is a domain in ODE?

A domain in ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) refers to the set of all independent variables over which a particular differential equation is defined. Essentially, it is the range of values that the independent variable can take on in the equation.

2. Why is it important to specify a domain in ODE?

Specifying a domain is crucial in ODE because it ensures that the equation is valid and applicable for the given set of independent variables. It also helps to avoid undefined or infinite solutions.

3. How do you determine the domain of an ODE?

The domain of an ODE is typically determined by looking at the given initial conditions and the nature of the equation. It is important to consider any restrictions or limitations on the independent variable, such as boundary conditions, physical constraints, or the range of a specific function.

4. Can the domain of an ODE change?

Yes, the domain of an ODE can change depending on the specific conditions and constraints of the problem. For example, if the initial conditions are altered, it may result in a different domain for the equation.

5. Why do some ODEs have a restricted or infinite domain?

Some ODEs have a restricted or infinite domain due to the nature of the equation and the conditions it represents. For example, certain physical phenomena may have infinite solutions and therefore require an infinite domain. Additionally, some equations may have specific restrictions on the independent variable to maintain the validity of the solution.

Back