How to Solve Logarithmic Equations? Find x^2*y^5/z^4

• Thread starter Mermaid4220
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find the log of a number and has run into a problem with the program they are using.
Mermaid4220

Homework Statement

log base u (x)=2.26
log base u (y)=2.84
log base u (z)=4.38
find ;
x^2*y^5/z^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many things raising each of the numbers to their exponents and dividing, using laws of the exponents it state we have to have the exact answer with no instructions as to what decimal point or just the formula or what...can anyone help either get me started or understand what I am supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what is meant is, be as exact as you can be and simplify that formula as much as possible. At the moment it has 3 unknowns, can you do something about that?

I inserted the numbers x=2.26 and so forth and tried many different ways and all the answers i got were not excepted...:( its probably an easy thing as it is in the first part of the homework but it seems I make the easiest thing hard for some reason :)

I would first solve the equations for x,y and z separately. Then label 2.6, 2.84 and 4.38 by a,b,c (so that in the end you get an exponent u^f, where f is entirely in terms of a,b,c - this avoids mid calculation rounding errors) and substitute x,y,z into the expression you need to find the value of. I think this is what you were trying but couldn't get any further?

Mermaid4220 said:

Homework Statement

log base u (x)=2.26
log base u (y)=2.84
log base u (z)=4.38
find ;
x^2*y^5/z^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many things raising each of the numbers to their exponents and dividing, using laws of the exponents it state we have to have the exact answer with no instructions as to what decimal point or just the formula or what...can anyone help either get me started or understand what I am supposed to do?

Call the quantity ##w=\frac{x^2y^5}{z^4}##. What is ##\log_u(w)##? Then what is ##w##? The answer will depend on ##u##.

Its actually called u= not w= does that make a difference?

Mermaid4220 said:
Its actually called u= not w= does that make a difference?

?

You are using u as the base of your logs aren't you? I was just giving a name to your expression.

Mermaid4220 said:

Homework Statement

log base u (x)=2.26
log base u (y)=2.84
log base u (z)=4.38
find ;
x^2*y^5/z^4
It's my experience that such a problem would likely to ask you
to find :
##\displaystyle \log_{\,u}\left(
\frac{x^2y^5}{z^4}\right)\ .
##​

Finding this quantity first would help, even if it's not asked for.

That is exactly what they want and I found the quantity and tried several different ways of doing it but the program Wiley will not accept the answers :( I will get help tomorrow at school thanks anyways guys :)

Related to How to Solve Logarithmic Equations? Find x^2*y^5/z^4

What is the expanded form of "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4"?

The expanded form of "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" is log(x^2) + log(y^5) - log(z^4).

How do I solve "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" for a specific value?

To solve "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" for a specific value, you can substitute the given value for x, y, and z in the expanded form of the equation and simplify.

Can I simplify "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" further?

Yes, you can simplify "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" further if there are any common factors in the exponents. For example, if x = 2 and y = 3, the equation can be simplified to log(4) + 5*log(3) - 4*log(z).

Is there a specific rule for solving "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" equations?

Yes, the rule for solving "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" equations is to use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rule. These rules allow you to manipulate the equation and simplify it to solve for a specific value.

Can I use a calculator to solve "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve "Solve Logs: x^2*y^5/z^4" equations. Most scientific calculators have a logarithm function that can help you solve these types of equations. However, it is always important to check your answer by hand to ensure accuracy.