How to solve multiple choice questions?

In summary, the conversation discussed a strategy for approaching multiple choice problems and provided an example problem regarding the comparison of average molecular speeds of oxygen and hydrogen molecules. The recommended strategy is to first solve the problem without looking at the multiple choice options, and then compare the values to the options. Additionally, a helpful tip was given to only compare the variables that are different between the options. A website for practicing multiple choice concept questions was also requested.
meisterluv
Hello I was wondering if some one can give me advice on how to approach these types of problems. I do horrible on these types of questions but do well on all other, any strategy helps.

Homework Statement

This is an example problem:

Oxygen molecules are 16 times more massive than hydrogen molecules. At a given temperature, how do their average molecular speeds compare? The oxygen molecules are moving
A. at 1/4 the speed.
B. 16 times faster.
C. at 1/16 the speed.
D. 4 times faster.

Homework Equations

I know that

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{m}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process would be to do this for oxygen:

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{16m}}
[/tex]

and this for hydrogen

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{m}}
[/tex]

comparing the two equations, I see that oxygen has the value 16, which is the square of 4. Thus I would think that A. would be the correct choice.

Questions like these are what get me most of the times. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you're faced with a multiple choice problem, it's best to ignore the choices at first and work it as if it were open ended. If you start trying to look at the choices you may try to construct your answer to fit a particular choice which can be misleading.

meisterluv said:
Hello I was wondering if some one can give me advice on how to approach these types of problems. I do horrible on these types of questions but do well on all other, any strategy helps.

Homework Statement

This is an example problem:

Oxygen molecules are 16 times more massive than hydrogen molecules. At a given temperature, how do their average molecular speeds compare? The oxygen molecules are moving
A. at 1/4 the speed.
B. 16 times faster.
C. at 1/16 the speed.
D. 4 times faster.

Homework Equations

I know that

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{m}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process would be to do this for oxygen:

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{16m}}
[/tex]

and this for hydrogen

[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{3KT}{m}}
[/tex]

comparing the two equations, I see that oxygen has the value 16, which is the square of 4. Thus I would think that A. would be the correct choice.

Questions like these are what get me most of the times. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

I agree with MostlyHarmless that it's best to estimate or figure out the answer on your own, and then look at the multiple choice selections.

In this problem, I just thought to myself: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, so 16x mass means v^2 goes down by 16 to keep the same KE. So v goes down by 4 to keep the equation balanced.

You can save time and effort and avoid some confusion if you only compare the things that are different
... ignore 3, k, T
so oxygen's v ~ √1/16 = 1/4 as fast as hydrogen's

Thanks. does anyone have a good site for practicing multiple choice concept questions?

FAQ: How to solve multiple choice questions?

What are the best strategies for solving multiple choice questions?

Some strategies for solving multiple choice questions include: reading all options before choosing an answer, eliminating obviously incorrect answers, and using context clues to make an educated guess.

How can I improve my performance on multiple choice exams?

To improve performance on multiple choice exams, it is important to practice with sample questions, understand the material thoroughly, and manage time effectively during the exam.

Is it better to guess or leave multiple choice questions blank?

This depends on the scoring system of the exam. If there is no penalty for incorrect answers, it is better to guess than to leave a question blank. However, if there is a penalty for incorrect answers, it may be better to leave a question blank if you are unsure of the answer.

How can I avoid common mistakes when solving multiple choice questions?

To avoid common mistakes when solving multiple choice questions, it is important to read the question carefully and avoid making assumptions. Make sure to also double check your answers before submitting them.

How can I manage my time effectively when taking a multiple choice exam?

To manage time effectively during a multiple choice exam, it can be helpful to quickly scan through the entire exam and answer the easier questions first. This will give you more time to focus on the more difficult questions later on.

Back