How to Solve Nonhomogeneous Euler Equations with Absolute Values?

In summary: Great job on solving the IVP using variation of parameters!In summary, the conversation discusses solving a IVP involving a differential equation with non-constant coefficients using variation of parameters. The steps for finding the homogeneous and particular solutions are outlined, with an emphasis on the particular solution. The conversation also includes a discussion on the intuition behind choosing a particular solution and confirmation of the method from another forum member.
S.N.

Homework Statement

Solve the IVP

(x^2)y'' + 4xy' - 40y = x^6

for y(1) = 10, y'(1) = 1

Homework Equations

not so much "equations" but here I try to use variation of parameters to get the particular solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

FOR THE HOMOGENEOUS SOLUTION:
using the substitution y = x^r I get a characteristic equation of

r^2 - 3r -40 = 0
so,
(r-8)(r+5) = 0

and then, the homogeneous solution will be

yh = c1|x|^8 + c2|x|^-5

FOR THE PARTICULAR SOLUTION:

Here is where I run into trouble. I'm unsure of how this part is usually done, but I'm guessing that since the original problem does not have constant coefficients, we are ofrced to use variation of parameters (can someone confirm this? It seems right to me but maybe there's a trick I'm missing here).

so, first I get the wronskian, which is the determinant of this 'matrix':

|x|8 |x|-5
8|x|7 -5|x|-6

I get -5|x|2 - 8|x|2 = -13|x|2

then here's my main problem (or maybe my problem is earlier -- not sure if I'm doing this right). I get to the variation of parameters part, and there's two integrals I have to do:

integral of |x|8x6 divided by 13|x|2

and integral of |x|-5x6 divided by 13|x|2

here is where I get confused: how do I deal with the integrals with absolute values? Did I do something completely wrong or is there something I'm not seeing? Is there some way to avoid this mess? Thanks for any help, my textbook never gets into the specifics of how to deal with an euler equation when it isn't homogeneous

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Why not try the particular solution of:
[tex]
y_{p}=a_{1}x^{6}+a_{2}x^{5}+a_{3}x^{4}+a_{4}x^{3}+a_{5}x^{2}+a_{6}x+a_{7}
[/tex]

2 things:

1) I looked at this intuitively and just thought "well, why not just guess Ax^6 because I'll just have 3 things multiplied by x^6 on the LHS afterward"? And it worked out. It makes perfect sense.

2) To hunt_mat: now that I read your post, is this what you're getting at?

S.N. said:
2 things:

1) I looked at this intuitively and just thought "well, why not just guess Ax^6 because I'll just have 3 things multiplied by x^6 on the LHS afterward"? And it worked out. It makes perfect sense.

That is exactly what to do.

S.N. said:
2 things:

2) To hunt_mat: now that I read your post, is this what you're getting at?

It was exactly what I was getting at.

Related to How to Solve Nonhomogeneous Euler Equations with Absolute Values?

1. What is a particular solution in the context of nonhomogeneous Euler equations?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a nonhomogeneous Euler equation that satisfies the given initial conditions. It is usually denoted as yp and is added to the general solution of the homogeneous equation to get the complete solution.

2. How do I solve for a particular solution in nonhomogeneous Euler equations with messy absolute values?

To solve for a particular solution, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the given equation and initial conditions.

3. What are absolute values and how do they affect my solution?

Absolute values are mathematical functions that result in the positive magnitude of a number or expression. In nonhomogeneous Euler equations, absolute values can result in piecewise solutions, where the particular solution may be different for different intervals of the independent variable.

4. Are there any special cases where solving for a particular solution of a nonhomogeneous Euler equation is easier?

Yes, if the nonhomogeneous term of the equation is a polynomial, trigonometric function, or exponential function, the method of undetermined coefficients can be used to easily find a particular solution. In these cases, the particular solution will have the same form as the nonhomogeneous term.

5. How important is it to find a particular solution in nonhomogeneous Euler equations?

Finding a particular solution is crucial in obtaining the complete solution to a nonhomogeneous Euler equation. Without a particular solution, the general solution will only represent the homogeneous part of the equation and will not satisfy the given initial conditions.