How to solve Problem of the Week #226?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation was about the various factors that can contribute to a successful career. The speakers discussed the importance of networking, having a positive attitude, and continuous learning. They also mentioned the role that hard work, perseverance, and a strong support system play in achieving career success.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $(X,\mu)$ be a measure space, $f\in \mathcal{L}^1(\mu)$, and $\phi_n\in \mathcal{L}^1(\mu)$ such that $\sup_{n,t}\lvert \phi_n(t)\rvert \le 1$ and $\|\phi_n\|_1 \to 0$ as $n\to \infty$. Show that $\|f\phi_n\|_1 \to 0$ as $n\to \infty$.-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was solved by Opalg. You can read his solution below.
Suppose that $\|f\phi_n\|_1 \not\to0$. Then there exist $\varepsilon>0$ and a subsequence $(\|f\phi_{n_k}\|_1)$ such that $\|f\phi_{n_k}\|_1 \geqslant \varepsilon$ for all $k.$

A sequence that converges in the $L^1$-norm has to have a subsequence that converges pointwise almost everywhere. So the subsequence $(\phi_{n_k})$ has a sub-subsequence that converges almost everywhere to $0.$ Replacing $(\phi_{n_k})$ by this sub-subsequence, we may assume that (1) $\|f\phi_{n_k}\|_1 \geqslant \varepsilon$ for all $k$, and (2) for almost all $t$, $\phi_{n_k}(t) \to0$ as $k\to\infty.$

Since $|\phi_n(t)| \leqslant1$ (for all $n$ and $t$), it follows that $|f\phi_{n_k}(t)| \leqslant |f(t)|$ (for all $k$ and $t$). Thus the functions $|f\phi_{n_k}|$ are dominated by the integrable function $|f|.$ From (2), $|f\phi_{n_k}| \to0$ pointwise almost everywhere as $k\to\infty.$ Hence by the dominated convergence theorem \(\displaystyle \|f\phi_{n_k}\|_1 = \int |f\phi_{n_k}| \to0\) as $k\to\infty$, which contradicts (1).

The contradiction shows that $\|f\phi_n\| \to0$ as $n\to\infty.$

Related to How to solve Problem of the Week #226?

1. How do I approach solving Problem of the Week #226?

The first step in solving Problem of the Week #226 is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, consider different strategies and approaches that could potentially lead to a solution. Finally, test and refine your solution until it is complete.

2. What resources can I use to help me solve Problem of the Week #226?

There are many resources available to help you solve Problem of the Week #226. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and forums where you can discuss the problem with others. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or fellow scientist for guidance and support.

3. How can I check if my solution to Problem of the Week #226 is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is to use mathematical or scientific principles to verify your answer. Another option is to use a computer program or online tool to test your solution. Additionally, you can compare your approach and answer with others who have also solved the problem.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve Problem of the Week #226?

If you get stuck while trying to solve Problem of the Week #226, take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from others. Don't get discouraged and keep trying, as problem-solving skills improve with practice.

5. How can I use the solution to Problem of the Week #226 in my own research?

The solution to Problem of the Week #226 can serve as a valuable learning experience and can also be applied to similar problems in your own research. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in the scientific field. Additionally, you can share your solution with others and contribute to the scientific community.