How to Solve Problems Involving Relative Velocity: Hints and Tips"

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and provides two examples to work through. The first example involves a jet airliner and the second involves a rowboat crossing a river. The participants ask for help and are given advice on how to approach the problems, including using vector addition to find the resulting velocity. Resources are also shared for further understanding of the topic.
wtf_albino
Hello all!

My physics teacher has been absent for about two days so i haven't been able to ask him any questions.

Basically I don't understand the concept of relative velocity. I couldn't even start one problem!

1) A Jet airliner moving intially at 300 mph due east enters a region where the wind is blowing at 100 mph in a direction 30.0 degrees north of esast. What is the new velocity of the aircraft relative to the ground?

For this question.. I am thinking i can draw some vectors to represent the information and just manipulate them to find the resultant vector(?) and would that be the final velocity? You don't have to solve it for me.. would just appreciate a hint to a step in the right direction.

2) A rowboat crosses a river with a velocity of 3.30 mi/h at an angle of 62.5 degrees north of west relative to the water. The river is 0.505 mi wide and carries an eastward current of 1.25 mi/h. How far upstream is the boat when it reaches the opposite shore?

My book is very vague in explaining these types of problems! For this problem i drew it out successfully.. but i have no idea how to attack it! if someone could point me in the right direction I am positive i could solve it on my own thanks!

thanks in advance! i really appreciate your guys' help it's been a lifesaver. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
well i forgot how to do this but
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys101/fall05/physics_101_lectures.html

I remb learning in the first few lectures and we did the same exact problems so just look at the completed PPT

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot alt! ill definitely look through the lesson.

i found the lesson about relative velocity.. the questions were rather simplistic though. are you sure it had similar questions?

One simply adds the velocity vectors.

If one is given the velocity of a vehicle (windspeed of aircraft in air, speed with respect to water of a boat) with respect to the fluid, and the fluid itself has some velocity, then add the two vectors to get the resulting velocity of the vehicle with respect to the fixed reference (usually land). The coordinated system orientations must be consistent however.

See -

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relmot.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airpw.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/boatc.html

Last edited:
Va + Vb = Va/b

Related to How to Solve Problems Involving Relative Velocity: Hints and Tips"

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to subtract the velocity of the second object from the velocity of the first object. This will give you the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. Why is relative velocity important?

Relative velocity is important in understanding the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate and predict the movement of objects.

4. What are some real-life applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in aviation to calculate the speed and direction of a plane in relation to the ground. It is also used in sports to determine the speed and direction of a ball in relation to a player. In addition, it is used in navigation systems and in predicting the motion of celestial bodies in space.

5. How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other. In other words, absolute velocity is independent of other objects, whereas relative velocity is dependent on the motion of another object.