How to Solve This Complex Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about asking for advice on solving a complex differential equation involving multiple variables and coefficients. The equation also includes delta functions and has a time derivative term. The person is seeking advice on how to approach this problem.
Rajat
Just out of pure curiosity, can anyone here give me any advice on the problem of solving the following differential equation

[tex]\left\{\sum_i \vec{\alpha}_i \cdot \nabla_i + \sum_{i neq j}\beta_{ij}\delta(x_i -x_j)\delta(\tau_i - \tau_j) \right\}\vec{\psi} = K\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec{\psi} = iKm\vec{\psi}.[/tex]

where,

[tex][\alpha_{ix} , \alpha_{jx}] \equiv \alpha_{ix} \alpha_{jx} + \alpha_{jx}\alpha_{ix} = \delta_{ij}[/tex]

[tex][\alpha_{i\tau} , \alpha_{j\tau}] = \delta_{ij}[/tex]

[tex][\beta_{ij} , \beta_{kl}] = \delta_{ik}\delta_{jl}[/tex]

[tex][\alpha_{ix}, \beta_{kl}]=[\alpha_{i\tau}, \beta_{kl}] = 0 \text{ where } \delta_{ij} =
\left\{\begin{array}{ c c }
0, & \text{ if } i \neq j \\
1, & \text{ if } i=j
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

Any advice on approaching this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajat said:
Just out of pure curiosity, can anyone here give me any advice on the problem of solving the following differential equation

[tex]\left\{\sum_i \vec{\alpha}_i \cdot \nabla_i + \sum_{i neq j}\beta_{ij}\delta(x_i -x_j)\delta(\tau_i - \tau_j) \right\}\vec{\psi} = K\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec{\psi} = iKm\vec{\psi}.[/tex]

where,

[tex][\alpha_{ix} , \alpha_{jx}] \equiv \alpha_{ix} \alpha_{jx} + \alpha_{jx}\alpha_{ix} = \delta_{ij}[/tex]

[tex][\alpha_{i\tau} , \alpha_{j\tau}] = \delta_{ij}[/tex]

[tex][\beta_{ij} , \beta_{kl}] = \delta_{ik}\delta_{jl}[/tex]

[tex][\alpha_{ix}, \beta_{kl}]=[\alpha_{i\tau}, \beta_{kl}] = 0 \text{ where } \delta_{ij} =
\left\{\begin{array}{ c c }
0, & \text{ if } i \neq j \\
1, & \text{ if } i=j
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

Any advice on approaching this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
It doesn't look simple to me ...lol...

FAQ: How to Solve This Complex Differential Equation?

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is an equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It typically involves only one independent variable and one or more derivatives of the dependent variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving a simple differential equation?

The purpose of solving a simple differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can help in understanding the behavior of a system over time, predicting future values, and making informed decisions.

3. How is a simple differential equation different from a regular algebraic equation?

A simple differential equation involves derivatives of a function, while a regular algebraic equation only involves the function itself. This makes solving differential equations more complex and requires different techniques.

4. What are some real-life applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the behavior of electrical circuits, among other things.

5. What are some methods for solving a simple differential equation?

Some common methods for solving a simple differential equation include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other techniques, such as power series and Laplace transforms, can also be used for more complex equations.