How to solve where a maclaurin series intersects a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of constructing Taylor and Maclaurin polynomials and series. The person is struggling with finding the answer to a problem that involves using a Maclaurin polynomial. They are unsure about how to use it since the polynomial is centered at zero and the two graphs do not intersect at zero, causing some error. The problem is given and the person wonders if it can be solved without converting it into cos(2x). A solution is suggested to solve for cos(2x) instead of the original equation, but the person asks if it is possible to solve for a random Maclaurin and graph intersection without using abbreviated equations.
xaphenx
I have just finished a unit on constructing taylor and maclaurin polynomials and series.
However I am really lost on how to find the answer to this problem that i found online for the test review and its going to be on my test, I know how to construct a maclaurin polynomial and have a vague sense of how to use it, but since the polynomial is centered at zero and the two graphs don't intersect at zero, isn't there some degree of error?

gahh, I don't understand and would really appreaciate a nudge in the right direction..
Here is the problem:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7917/problemthree.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the series is infinite, you cannot treat it as a polynomial equation. However, the left side is just cos (2x), so you need to solve

cos(2x)=2x^3.

This cannot be solved (as far as I know) analytically, the approx. solution is 0.58236.

thanks much, that makes sense to me now.. Without converting it into cos(2x) though, is that a solvable problem? Like what if you couldn't put that into any abbreviated equation, like sin or cos or e^x or a geometric series?

is it actually possible to solve where a random maclaurin and a graph intersect.. ?

FAQ: How to solve where a maclaurin series intersects a graph

1. How do you find the intersection points of a Maclaurin series and a graph?

To find the intersection points, set the Maclaurin series equal to the equation of the graph. Then, solve for the variable to determine the x-values of the intersection points.

2. Can a Maclaurin series have multiple intersection points with a graph?

Yes, a Maclaurin series can have multiple intersection points with a graph. These points may occur at different x-values depending on the behavior of the series and the graph.

3. What is the significance of finding the intersection points of a Maclaurin series and a graph?

Finding the intersection points can help in understanding the behavior of the Maclaurin series and how it relates to the graph. It can also be used to approximate the values of the function represented by the series at these points.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods for solving the intersection points of a Maclaurin series and a graph?

There are several techniques that can be used, such as substitution, factoring, or using a graphing calculator to visually determine the intersection points. However, the approach may vary depending on the specific series and graph being considered.

5. Are there any limitations to using Maclaurin series to solve for intersection points?

While Maclaurin series can be a useful tool for approximating the values of a function and its intersection points with a graph, it may not always be accurate or applicable. In some cases, other methods may be more suitable for finding intersection points.

Back