How to Solve $(x^2 + 1)y'' - 6xy' + 10y = 0$ Using Series Methods?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, we used series methods to solve the differential equation $(x^2 + 1)y" - 6xy' + 10y = 0$. By finding the recursion formula, we were able to determine the first two non-zero terms of the solution for $a_0 = 1$ and $a_1 = 0$ as well as the first three non-zero terms of the solution for $a_0 = 0$ and $a_1 = 1$.
shamieh
Use series methods to solve $(x^2 + 1) y" - 6xy' + 10y = 0$
a) Give the Recursion formula
b) give the first two non zero terms of the solution corresponding to $a_0 = 1$ and $a_1 =0$
c) give the first three non zero terms of solution corresponding to $a_0 = 0$ and $a_1 = 1$

So I posted this also on math exchange and someone was helping me out but i think they've made some mistakes. I'm really confused on this problem.

Where I got stuck with my series :(

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Use series methods to solve $(x^2 + 1) y" - 6xy' + 10y = 0$
a) Give the Recursion formula
b) give the first two non zero terms of the solution corresponding to $a_0 = 1$ and $a_1 =0$
c) give the first three non zero terms of solution corresponding to $a_0 = 0$ and $a_1 = 1$

So I posted this also on math exchange and someone was helping me out but i think they've made some mistakes. I'm really confused on this problem.

Where I got stuck with my series :(

$$\sum ^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^n + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}X^n - 6\sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} na_nX^n + 10 \sum ^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nX^n$$

Hi shamieh,

Consider that:
$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty b_n = b_0 + b_1 + b_2 + ... = b_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n
$$

And also that:
$$\sum ^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^n = \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1} n(n-1)a_nX^n$$
since the term for $n=1$ is zero anyway. (Thinking)

so would that give me $0 + 2a_2\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} n(n-1)a_nX^n$ ?

shamieh said:
so would that give me $0 + 2a_2\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} n(n-1)a_nX^n$ ?

Let's see...

$$\sum ^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^n + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}X^n - 6\sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} na_nX^n + 10 \sum ^{\infty}_{n=0}a_nX^n \\
= \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1} n(n-1)a_nX^n + \left(2a_2 + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}X^n\right)
- 6\left(0 + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1} na_nX^n\right) + 10 \left(a_0 + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1}a_nX^n\right) \\
= 2a_2 + 10a_0 + \sum ^{\infty}_{n=1} \Big(n(n-1)a_n + (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} - 6na_n + 10 a_n\Big)X^n \\
= 0
$$

Ooh, I think I see what you're saying. Gonna try it out now.

Last edited:
In the last summation where is the $n$? that goes with the series being multiplied by $10$?

I got:

$y = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} na_nX^n$

$y' = \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} na_nX^{n-1}$

$y'' = \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^{n-2}$

so we have: $(x^2+1)[\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^{n-2}] - (6x) \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} na_nX^{n-1} + 10\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} na_nX^n $

After doing some series manipulation I got:

$= \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} n(n-1)a_nX^n + \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}X^n - \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} 6na_nX^n + \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} 10na_nX^n$

shamieh said:
In the last summation where is the $n$? that goes with the series being multiplied by $10$?

I got:

$y = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} na_nX^n$

That should be \(\displaystyle y = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_nX^n\).

Is that your missing $n$? (Wondering)

Oh yep. My brain is working extra good today. :rolleyes:

So finally for the Recursion Formula I got: $a_{n+2} = -a_n\frac{(n-5)(n-2)}{(n+2)(n+1)}$

shamieh said:
So finally for the Recursion Formula I got: $a_{n+2} = -a_n\frac{(n-5)(n-2)}{(n+2)(n+1)}$

Looks correct to me. (Smile)

Note that it also satisfies $2a_2+10a_0=0$, which is necessary.

Also for part b) I got:

$a_0 = 1$

$a_1 = 0$

$a_2 = -5$

$a_3 = 0$

$a_4 = 0$

so: $y_1 = 1 + 0 + (-5x^2) + .. $

and for part c i got:

$a_0 = 0$

$a_1 = 1$

$a_2 = 0$

$a_3 = \frac{-4}{6}$

$a_4 = 0$

so $y_2 = x + 0 + (\frac{-4}{6}x^3) + 0 .. +..$

Part b) looks fine. (Smile)

For c), shouldn't you get at least 3 non-zero terms? Indeed, I get a different $a_5$. (Worried)

Last edited:
How does this look?
$a_0 = 0$

$a_1 = 1$

$a_2 = -5$

$a_3 = \frac{-4}{6}$
so $y_2 = x + -5x^2 + (\frac{-4}{6}x^3) + 0 .. +..$

shamieh said:
How does this look?
$a_0 = 0$

$a_1 = 1$

$a_2 = -5$

$a_3 = \frac{-4}{6}$

$a_4 = 0$

so $y_2 = x + -5x^2 + (\frac{-4}{6}x^3) + 0 .. +..$

Let's see... (Thinking)

We had $2a_2 + 10 a_0 = 0$.
Substituting, we get $2 \cdot -5 + 10 \cdot 0 = -10 \ne 0$.

Nope. It looks more wrong. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Let's see... (Thinking)

We had $2a_2 + 10 a_0 = 0$.
Substituting, we get $2 \cdot -5 + 10 \cdot 0 = -10 \ne 0$.

Nope. It looks more wrong. (Sweating)

Let me try again lol

$a_0 = 0$

$a_1 = 1$

$a_2 = 0$

$a_3 = \frac{-4}{6}$

$a_4 = 0$

$a_5 = -1/15$

so $y_2 = x + \frac{-2}{3} x^3 + \frac{1}{15} x^5..$

That looks much better! (Whew)

You know when you finish doing differential equations by series and then you forget how to add and subtract and do algebra? Lol that is my life right now. Thanks for all your help I like Serena(Malthe)(Time)

UPDATE!

The correct solutions for part b) and part c) are:

b)
$a_0 = 1$
$a_1 = 0$
$a_2 = -2/3$
$a_3 = 0$
$a_4 = 0$

$\therefore$ $y_1 = 1 + (-\frac{2}{3}x^2) + ... + ...$

c)
$a_0 = 0$
$a_1 = 1$
$a_2 = 0$
$a_3 = -2/3$
$a_4 = 0$
$a_5 = 1/15$

$\therefore$ $y_2 = x + (-\frac{2}{3}x^2) + \frac{1}{15}x^5 + ...$

FAQ: How to Solve $(x^2 + 1)y'' - 6xy' + 10y = 0$ Using Series Methods?

1. What are series methods used for?

Series methods are used for finding approximate solutions to mathematical problems, especially those involving functions that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

2. How do series methods work?

Series methods use a series (or sequence) of numbers to approximate the solution to a problem. The more numbers in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What are some examples of series methods?

Some examples of series methods include Taylor series, Maclaurin series, and Fourier series.

4. When should series methods be used?

Series methods should be used when traditional algebraic methods cannot find an exact solution, or when an approximate solution is sufficient for the problem at hand. They are also useful for solving differential equations.

5. What are the advantages of using series methods?

Series methods can provide quick and accurate approximations for mathematical problems that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. They also allow for the exploration of complex functions and can be used to generate numerical solutions for difficult equations.

Back