How to solve x^x = 13 using logarithms

• Thread starter minase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the problem x^x = 13 using logarithm. It is mentioned that a graphing calculator solver gave an approximation of 2.6410619... and another method using Lambert W-function was suggested. Additionally, using Newton's Method to obtain an approximation was also mentioned.
minase
I was trying to solve a problem using logarithm. It says x^x =13 I tried to solve it using logarithm but I couldn't. I used a graphing calculator solver and I found it is 2.6410619... Is it possible to solve using logarithm? If not is there another way to solve besides trying and checking?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any way to solve such a problem other than numerically (IE using some numeric approximation). Ah I see VietDao has a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can solve it by Lambert W-function, i.e the inverse function of f(x) = xex.
[tex]x ^ x = 13[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \ln (x ^ x) = \ln (13)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow x \ln x = \ln (13)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow (\ln x ) e ^ {\ln x} = \ln (13)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \ln x = W( \ln (13))[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow x = e ^ {W( \ln (13))}[/tex]
------------------
Or you can get an approximation of it by Newton's Method.
First, we'll try to rearrange the equation to give the form of f(x) = 0
So
[tex]\x ^ x = 13[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \x ^ x - 13 = 0[/tex]
Let f(x) = xx - 13
Then we differentiate f(x) with respect to x to give:
f'(x) = xx(ln(x) + 1)
And we choose an arbitrary x0, say x0 = 2 (we should graph it first to chose x0 precisely, we choose x0 since there's one solution near 2).
And we apply the formula:
[tex]x_{n + 1} = x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}[/tex], and let n increase without bound to obtain the desired solution, i.e:
[tex]x = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_n[/tex].
The root of that equation is about 2.641061916.
:)

Related to How to solve x^x = 13 using logarithms

1. What is the first step in solving x^x = 13 using logarithms?

The first step is to take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will help us to isolate the variable x and solve for it.

2. Which base should be used when taking the logarithm of both sides?

The base of the logarithm does not matter as long as it is the same on both sides. It is recommended to use a base that is convenient, such as base 10 or base e (natural logarithm).

3. How do I solve for x after taking the logarithm of both sides?

After taking the logarithm, we can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. For example, we can use the power rule to bring down the exponent of x and then solve for it algebraically.

4. Can the equation x^x = 13 have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for the equation to have more than one solution. This can happen when the base and exponent of x are both positive and less than 1. In this case, there will be two solutions, one positive and one negative.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in the solution?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of x in the solution. The value of x must be positive in order to satisfy the equation x^x = 13. Additionally, if we are working with real numbers, the value of x cannot be greater than approximately 1.984 (rounded to three decimal places).