How to take the time derivative of a potential gradient ?

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of taking the time rate of change of a potential gradient, specifically in the context of gravity and electric potential. The speaker mentions being unsure about how to do this and someone asks for more information before answering the question.
Pet Scan
I am not that great at vector calculus , etc.
Can someone show me how to take the time rate of change of a potential gradient? (Not homework)
Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pet Scan said:
I am not that great at vector calculus , etc.
Can someone show me how to take the time rate of change of a potential gradient? (Not homework)
Thx.

Consider the gravity gradient above a planet. It's time derivative is practically zero. There is no a priori reason for a gradient to have a time rate of change.

So your question makes no sense without more information.

Just to clarify...I didn't say a gravitational gradient. How about an electric potential gradient?

Pet Scan said:
Just to clarify...I didn't say a gravitational gradient. How about an electric potential gradient?

OK, why do you think it has a time rate of change?

FAQ: How to take the time derivative of a potential gradient ?

1. What is a potential gradient?

A potential gradient is the rate of change of potential with respect to distance. It represents the slope of the potential energy surface and indicates the direction and magnitude of the force acting on a particle at a given point.

2. Why is it important to take the time derivative of a potential gradient?

Taking the time derivative of a potential gradient allows us to determine the rate of change of potential energy with respect to time. This can provide insights into the dynamics of a system and help us understand how it evolves over time.

3. How do you calculate the time derivative of a potential gradient?

The time derivative of a potential gradient can be calculated by taking the derivative of the potential function with respect to time. This involves using the chain rule and product rule for differentiation, depending on the form of the potential function.

4. Can the time derivative of a potential gradient be negative?

Yes, the time derivative of a potential gradient can be negative. This indicates that the potential energy is decreasing with respect to time, and the system is moving towards a more stable state.

5. What are some real-world applications of taking the time derivative of a potential gradient?

The time derivative of a potential gradient has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is used to study the behavior of particles and systems, analyze the stability of structures, and understand the kinetics of chemical reactions.