How to test locally hosted websites on mobile?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I've tried testing a locally hosted website on my phone by entering [My_IP_Address]:[PORT]. It won't load and just says "[IP_Address] took too long to respond".
Hi everyone

I'm trying to test a locally hosted website on my phone, but it won't load. I typed "ipconfig" into my cmd to get the IP address and then entered [IP_Address]:[PORT] into the browser. I've tried this a few times and all it says is "[IP_Address] took too long to respond". I've pinged the address on my computer and it responds fine.

I've also tried using a different port and adding a new rule for the port in Windows Defender.

Does anyone know what else I could try or what the issue might be?

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Is your IP address public? If "locally" means 126.168.x.x you will not be able to get at it from outside, and your phone may well be on the outside network.

Likes Darkmisc
Is the phone using cellular data or your own local Wi-Fi network?

Likes Darkmisc, FactChecker and Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50 said:
Is your IP address public? If "locally" means 126.168.x.x you will not be able to get at it from outside, and your phone may well be on the outside network.
I think it's private. It fits this description:
  • A 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 range, which is a 192.168.0.0 network masked by 255.255.0.0 or /16
Is there any way for me to test my page on a phone? I'd like to test if I can click on a phone number to make a call.

jtbell said:
Is the phone using cellular data or your own local Wi-Fi network?
It's using my wifi.

You have an IP address on your local subnet. There is no way to see that from your carrier's network - by design. What your options are depends on your phone, your carrier, your plan, your router and maybe more. While the problem is simple, the solution is not.

Likes Darkmisc, FactChecker and Borg
Some browsers offer a feature to do this. But I can't remember exactly how to do it!
Some web developer browser tools include the option, and again my brain is not reminding me which ones do it!
Try googling these clues.

Likes Darkmisc
Firefox and Chrome extension Web developer by chrispedrick.
View responsive layout.
Think that works.

Likes Darkmisc
If the above doesn't work, and you have an existing website, create a folder called test on the existing site and just upload the current files to that folder to inspect the results.

Likes Darkmisc and FactChecker
Back