How to think of an interesting and useful calculation to do

In summary, it seems that you need to take your time reading and understanding the material you're interested in in order to be able to do calculations confidently.
bjnartowt
I am wondering what the first steps are to finding an interesting calculation, and doing it. My adviser seems concerned only with me writing my thesis to hurry up and get me out of the program, rather than helping me develop my CV and involving me in other calculations he may be doing. It seems to me that I have to take things upon myself if I'm going to at least have a fighting chance of getting a postdoc when I graduate.

The problem is that it seems like there is a ton of research already done, and a ton of research that could be done. I suppose I should stick to my strengths (thermoelectricity). I have a colleague who noted that he got a publication by thinking of a calculation, and then simply doing it with pen and paper/Mathematica. Is it really that simple? Comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read.

A lot.

You can't rely on someone else to give you a calculation to do. You make original contributions by reading everything you can, knowing what the open questions are in your little niche area and then exploring them. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a piece of low hanging fruit that is worth publishing.

Thanks, Choppy. I have no problem with reading, but it may be that I'm reading the wrong things. I try and read the latest developments in thermoelectricity, but constantly find myself having to go back and read/solve problems in my core-class-textbooks. Then, whenever I start the day intending to deepen my knowledge of current literature, I always end the day in my core textbooks, hung up on filling in a missing step that is probably "obvious" or "pedestrian" to everyone else. Should I try and cut down on my perfectionism, and just power ahead through the literature on thermoelectricity?

I don't know. I think there's value in taking your time to really understand the material that you're reading in your field. Wrestling with a problem for a while will often help you to understand how others approach the solution. Once you've done this enough times, you'll begin to recognize the common approaches to solving the kinds of problems you're interested in and you'll spend less time going back to your textbooks. And this will allow you to read more both in terms of quantity and quality.

It wasn't really until I was a post-doc that I began to feel confidently "fluent" in my readings, if that helps any.

I can understand your frustration with your adviser's focus on your thesis and lack of involvement in other calculations. However, I would like to encourage you to take a proactive approach in finding interesting and useful calculations to work on.

Firstly, I recommend exploring your interests and strengths within the field of thermoelectricity. This will help you narrow down your focus and identify potential research gaps or unanswered questions that you can address through calculations.

Next, I suggest networking with other researchers in your field and attending conferences or workshops. These interactions can provide valuable insights and inspiration for potential calculations.

Additionally, you can browse through recent publications and literature reviews to identify areas that have not been extensively researched yet. This could lead to new and innovative calculations.

Furthermore, don't underestimate the power of brainstorming and discussing ideas with your colleagues. They may have suggestions or insights that could lead to interesting and useful calculations.

Regarding your colleague's experience with getting a publication through a simple pen and paper or Mathematica calculation, I would say that it is possible but not always the case. Calculations can vary in complexity and may require different tools and methods. It is important to carefully plan and execute your calculations, and seek guidance from your adviser or other experts in the field if needed.

In conclusion, finding an interesting and useful calculation may require some effort and exploration, but with a proactive approach and open-mindedness, you can come up with innovative and impactful research. Good luck with your future calculations and postdoc opportunities.

Related to How to think of an interesting and useful calculation to do

1. How do I come up with a topic for my calculation?

Start by thinking about your interests and expertise. What are some questions or problems related to your field that you find interesting or important? You can also read scientific literature or talk to colleagues to get ideas. Finally, consider current events or issues in society that could benefit from a scientific calculation.

2. What makes a calculation interesting and useful?

An interesting calculation is one that addresses a relevant question or problem, and has the potential to contribute new knowledge or insights to the field. A useful calculation is one that has practical applications or can inform decision-making. It should also be well-designed and have reliable data and methods.

3. How do I determine the scope of my calculation?

Consider the resources and time available to you, as well as the complexity of the topic. It's important to have a clear and achievable goal for your calculation. You may also need to consult with your advisor or team to determine the appropriate scope for your project.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a calculation?

Some common mistakes include not defining a clear research question, ignoring relevant literature, using faulty data or methods, and not considering potential limitations or biases. It's important to carefully plan and design your calculation to ensure its validity and impact.

5. How can I ensure that my calculation is scientifically sound?

Make sure to thoroughly research your topic and use reliable data and methods. Consult with experts in the field and seek feedback from colleagues or advisors. It's also important to critically evaluate your own work and be open to making changes or revisions based on feedback.