How to Transform Integrals from Cylindrical to Spherical Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses two options for evaluating a double integral with an integrand that is a function of both cylindrical and spherical coordinates. The first option is to write one coordinate in terms of the other, but this leads to a difficult integral. The second option is to transform the integral to spherical coordinates, which allows for the use of Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics. However, the process of transforming between cylindrical and spherical coordinates is not as straightforward as it is for Cartesian coordinates. The conversation ends with a request for a reference on the topic.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider an integral of the type ## \int_0^{a} \int_0^{\pi} g(\rho,\varphi,\theta) \rho d\varphi d\rho ##. As you can see, the integral is w.r.t. cylindrical coordinates on a plane but the integrand is also a function of ##\theta## which is a spherical coordinate. So for evaluating it, there are two options: 1) Write ## \theta ## in terms of cylindrical coordinates. 2) Transform the integral to spherical coordinates. The first option makes the integral an intractable mess. But the second option seems nice because the integrand(in spherical coordinates) contains a factor of the form ## (1-2xt+t^2)^{-\frac 1 2} ## and so the integral can be done using Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics. But I don't know how I should transform the integral from cylindrical to spherical coordinates. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you are asking for. If θ is independent of ρ and φ, what you get after the integration is a function of θ. Otherwise, you need to clarify, since neither cylindrical nor spherical coordinates make any sense in a plane (restricted to a plane, they are both polar coordinates).

Svein said:
I am not quite sure what you are asking for. If θ is independent of ρ and φ, what you get after the integration is a function of θ. Otherwise, you need to clarify, since neither cylindrical nor spherical coordinates make any sense in a plane (restricted to a plane, they are both polar coordinates).
Of course ## \theta ## depends on ## \rho ## and ##\varphi##. The only point is that, at some point, I had to use the formula ## \hat r_1 \cdot \hat r_2=\cos\theta_1 \cos\theta_2+\sin\theta_1 \sin\theta_2 \cos(\varphi_1-\varphi_2) ## which is in spherical coordinates. But at other parts, I had to use cylindrical coordinates. Also the problem is 3 dimensional but the integration is done on a surface but I should write the distance between an arbitrary point on the surface and an arbitrary point of the space.

Shyan said:
But I don't know how I should transform the integral from cylindrical to spherical coordinates. Can anyone help?
How about θ = arctan(z/ρ)?

Svein said:
How about θ = arctan(z/ρ)?
Well, That's good but as I said, the integral is a big mess in cylindrical coordinates. But in spherical coordinates, I can do the integral using Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics. So I want to know how can I transform the integral from cylindrical to spherical coordinates.
I'm just wondering because transforming integrals from Cartesian coordinates to spherical and cylindrical coordinates is really straightforward but it doesn't seem to be the case about transformation between cylindrical and spherical coordinates. Isn't there any reference about it?

Related to How to Transform Integrals from Cylindrical to Spherical Coordinates?

What is the transformation of integrals?

The transformation of integrals is a technique used in calculus to convert an integral from one form to another, making it easier to solve. It involves using substitution, change of variables, or partial fractions to transform an integral into a simpler form.

Why is the transformation of integrals useful?

The transformation of integrals allows us to solve integrals that may not be solvable in their original form. It also helps to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to evaluate. Additionally, it can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different methods of transforming integrals?

There are three main methods of transforming integrals: substitution, change of variables, and partial fractions. Substitution involves replacing a variable with a new one to simplify the integral. Change of variables involves making a substitution to convert the integral into a standard form. Partial fractions involve breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions to make the integral easier to evaluate.

When should I use the transformation of integrals?

The transformation of integrals should be used when solving integrals that cannot be easily evaluated in their original form. It is also useful when solving integrals involving trigonometric functions, exponential functions, or logarithmic functions. In general, it is a useful tool whenever an integral involves complex algebraic expressions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the transformation of integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the transformation of integrals include incorrect substitution, forgetting to change the limits of integration, and not simplifying the integral after transformation. It is important to carefully select the substitution or change of variables and to double-check all calculations to avoid errors in the final solution.