How to turn a table into an equation?

• Thread starter StillDumb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, to turn a table into an equation, you can use Hermite interpolation or spline interpolation to fit the points and return to zero in between each point. If using piecewise functions, cubic splines may be useful. However, derivatives may not be necessary in this case. An Excel picture is also provided for reference.
StillDumb
Hey guys
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I turn a table into an equation? I need the line or curve to fit the points. And I need the line or curve to periodically go back to zero in between each point. Below are my numbers and straight line slopes.

x y Slope
1 20
2 8 -12
3 9 1
4 19 10
5 27 8
6 9 -18
7 19 10
8 27 8
9 1 -26
10 27 26
11 20 -7
12 5 -15
13 19 14
14 20 1

Questions:
1) Since I want the equation to periodically return to zero in between each point, is there a way that I can model this as a sin or cos wave (or a combination)? That would make sense, right?
2) Or if I want straight lines, how do I do that without having 14 piece-wise functions?
3) Also, is there a way maybe to find the pattern of the slopes and make dY/dX equal to that pattern? That way I can work backwards using some calculus?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might want to take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_interpolation

This is probably the easiest way of obtaining a single function to fit the points and derivatives. If you're allowing piecewise functions, you could take a look at spline interpolation. Cubic splines are pretty powerful, but you'll need some practice with it before you try.

Related to How to turn a table into an equation?

1. How do I represent a table in an equation?

To represent a table in an equation, you can use variables to represent the values in the table. For example, if the table has two columns with the values x and y, you can use the equation y = mx + b, where m and b are constants, to represent the relationship between the values in the table.

2. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variables in the equation represent the values in the table. In the equation y = mx + b, y represents the value in the second column of the table, x represents the value in the first column, m represents the slope of the line connecting the points in the table, and b represents the y-intercept of the line.

3. How do I determine the equation from a table of values?

To determine the equation from a table of values, you can use the formula for a line, y = mx + b, and plug in the values from the table to solve for m and b. Once you have determined the values of m and b, you can write the equation in the form of y = mx + b.

4. Can I use an equation to predict values in a table?

Yes, you can use an equation to predict values in a table. Once you have determined the equation, you can input different values for x and solve for y to get the corresponding values. This can help you make predictions about the relationship between the values in the table.

5. Are there limitations to using equations to represent tables?

Yes, there can be limitations to using equations to represent tables. This method works best for linear relationships, where the values in the table can be connected by a straight line. If the relationship between the values is non-linear, using an equation may not accurately represent the data in the table.