How to use a rocker switch with three or four terminals

• Thread starter iampaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the switch has four terminals, each with a different resistance, and it allows you to control a circuit with just a battery and a light bulb by connecting the appropriate terminals.
iampaul
I've watched this youtube video : , and understood it only a little so i came here for help.

How does that three terminal rocker switch work. It says that the terminals are for power, ground and acc.(Is acc accessory which means load??) If for example, i want the switch to control a simple circuit consisting of just a battery and a bulb, should i connect the positive of the battery to the power and the negative to ground, then connect the bulb to the ground and accessory?? It would help if i could find an article showing how the switch works internally, but i just can't find anyFor the rocker switch with four terminals, I really have no idea, but this is how it looks like:
http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?q=r...184&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:103

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
iampaul said:
I've watched this youtube video : , and understood it only a little so i came here for help.

How does that three terminal rocker switch work. It says that the terminals are for power, ground and acc.(Is acc accessory which means load??) If for example, i want the switch to control a simple circuit consisting of just a battery and a bulb, should i connect the positive of the battery to the power and the negative to ground, then connect the bulb to the ground and accessory?? It would help if i could find an article showing how the switch works internally, but i just can't find any

For the rocker switch with four terminals, I really have no idea, but this is how it looks like:
http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?q=r...184&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:103

When in doubt, just use an Ohm-meter to measure the resistance between the different terminals with the switch in each position. That should show you the continuity options that the switch offers.

I'm guessing they label the switch with Power, Ground and Accessory because it is a lighted switch? Maybe it turns on (lights) when you flip it to the On position, and also connects the Power input to the Accessory output...

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How to use a rocker switch with three or four terminals

1. What is a rocker switch with three or four terminals?

A rocker switch with three or four terminals is an electrical switching device that is commonly used to turn on or off a circuit. It has a lever or rocker that can be moved back and forth to make or break an electrical connection. The three or four terminals refer to the number of connections on the switch, which can vary depending on the specific model.

2. How do I wire a rocker switch with three or four terminals?

The wiring process for a rocker switch with three or four terminals will vary depending on the specific model and application. However, in most cases, the terminal labeled "common" or "COM" should be connected to the power source, while the other terminals will be used to control the circuit. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions or consult a professional if you are unsure about the wiring process.

3. Can a rocker switch with three or four terminals be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, a rocker switch with three or four terminals can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to check the switch's specifications to ensure that it is suitable for the type of circuit you will be using it for. Some switches may be designed specifically for AC or DC circuits only.

4. How do I know which terminals to use for my specific circuit?

The specific terminals to use for your circuit will depend on the wiring diagram provided by the manufacturer or the specific application you are using the switch for. In general, the terminal labeled "common" or "COM" will be connected to the power source, while the other terminals will be used to control the circuit. If you are unsure, it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional assistance.

5. Can I use a rocker switch with three or four terminals to control multiple circuits?

Yes, you can use a rocker switch with three or four terminals to control multiple circuits. This can be achieved by connecting the "common" terminal to the power source, and then using the other terminals to control different circuits or devices. However, it is important to consider the switch's maximum voltage and current ratings to ensure that it can handle the load of multiple circuits.

Back