How to Use C++ Switch Statements: Examples and Tips for Beginners

• C/C++
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Switch
In summary, a switch statement in C++ is a control structure used for handling multiple conditional branches based on the value of a single variable. To use it, you declare the variable, use the switch keyword followed by the variable name and a set of curly braces, list the cases using the case keyword, add code to be executed for each case, and end with a break statement. Multiple cases with the same action can be used by omitting the break keyword, and there is a default case to handle unexpected inputs. Variable or expression can also be used as case values, as long as they are of the same data type as the variable being evaluated.
ineedhelpnow
Write a switch statement that checks origLetter. If 'a' or 'A', print "Alpha". If 'b' or 'B', print "Beta". For any other character, print "Unknown". Use fall-through as appropriate. End with newline.

Sample program:

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   char origLetter = '?';

origLetter = 'a';
   <STUDENT CODE>

return 0;
}

Just do the <STUDENT CODE> part.
i don't get it. do i do case or if?

Technology news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
Write a switch statement that checks origLetter. If 'a' or 'A', print "Alpha". If 'b' or 'B', print "Beta". For any other character, print "Unknown". Use fall-through as appropriate. End with newline.

Sample program:

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   char origLetter = '?';

origLetter = 'a';
   <STUDENT CODE>

return 0;
}

Just do the <STUDENT CODE> part.
i don't get it. do i do case or if?

Do "switch".

That is:
Code:
switch (<expression>)
{
    case <constant>: // Fall through
    case <constant>: <statements>; break;
    case <constant>: <statements>; break;
    default: <statements>; 
}

Oh. And don't spell it like [m]defualt[/m]. It will take you ages to figure that out.
Especially since it is completely legal, syntactically, as a label. :eek:

could you be a little more specific? i don't really understand how to do it since i have like lowercase and uppercase alpha and beta

ineedhelpnow said:
could you be a little more specific? i don't really understand how to do it since i have like lowercase and uppercase alpha and beta

So it's like:
Code:
    switch (origLetter)
    {
        case 'a': // Fall through
        case 'A': <handle 'A' or 'a' statements>; break;
    }

ok so could you explain the <handle 'a' or 'A'...> part. I am not familiar with it

ineedhelpnow said:
could you explain the <handle 'a' or 'A'...> part. I am not familiar with it
"<handle 'a' or 'A'...>" means that you should replace it with the code according to your instructions, namely: If 'a' or 'A', print "Alpha". That is, you should replace "<handle 'a' or 'A'...>" in ILS's code with the line that prints the string "Alpha".

For more about the [m]switch[/m] statement in C and C++, see here and here or, better, read your textbook or lecture notes.

FAQ: How to Use C++ Switch Statements: Examples and Tips for Beginners

1. What is a switch statement in C++?

A switch statement in C++ is a control structure that allows for multiple conditional branches based on the value of a single variable. It is useful for handling situations where there are multiple possible cases that require different actions to be taken.

2. How do you use a switch statement in C++?

To use a switch statement in C++, you first declare the variable that will be used to determine the case. Then, you use the switch keyword followed by the variable name and a set of curly braces. Inside the curly braces, you list the different cases using the case keyword, followed by a constant value and a colon. Finally, you add the code to be executed for each case inside the corresponding case block, and end the statement with a break keyword.

3. Can you have multiple cases with the same action in a switch statement?

Yes, you can have multiple cases with the same action in a switch statement by omitting the break keyword at the end of each case block. This will cause the execution to "fall through" to the next case until a break statement is encountered.

4. Is there a default case in a switch statement?

Yes, there is a default case in a switch statement. This is the case that is executed if none of the other cases match the value of the variable. It is often used as a catch-all case to handle unexpected inputs.

5. Can you use a variable or expression as the case value in a switch statement?

Yes, you can use a variable or expression as the case value in a switch statement. This allows for more dynamic and flexible cases, as opposed to just using constants. It is important to note that the case values must be of the same data type as the variable being evaluated.