How to use K-map to prove a boolean equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter FallArk
  • Start date
In summary: I get it now! So I just have to make sure all the 1's I fill in corresponds to what it given. Thanks!
FallArk
This is actually a computer engineering problem:
How to use k-map to show that B + AB’C’D + AB’CD = B + AD?
Isn't K-map a graph that shows combinations of input A, B, C and D?
What is B then?

Technology news on Phys.org
FallArk said:
This is actually a computer engineering problem:
How to use k-map to show that B + AB’C’D + AB’CD = B + AD?
Isn't K-map a graph that shows combinations of input A, B, C and D?
What is B then?

Hey FallArk! ;)

A k-map or Karnaugh map is not a graph - it's a table that looks like:
K-map_6%2C8%2C9%2C10%2C11%2C12%2C13%2C14_anti-race.svg

It's a method to simplify boolean expressions of a number of boolean variables (4 variables in the example).

B is just one of the 4 boolean variables.
The AB at the top represents all possible combinations of the 2 boolean variables A and B.
And the CD at the left represents all possible combinations of C and D.
If we make such tables for both the left hand side and the right hand side, we should find that the tables are identical.

I like Serena said:
Hey FallArk! ;)

A k-map or Karnaugh map is not a graph - it's a table that looks like:It's a method to simplify boolean expressions of a number of boolean variables (4 variables in the example).

B is just one of the 4 boolean variables.
The AB at the top represents all possible combinations of the 2 boolean variables A and B.
And the CD at the left represents all possible combinations of C and D.
If we make such tables for both the left hand side and the right hand side, we should find that the tables are identical.
Sorry for not wording it correctly, what I was trying to say is that how can I tell where to fill in the 1s and 0s in the map according to what is given to me?

FallArk said:
Sorry for not wording it correctly, what I was trying to say is that how can I tell where to fill in the 1s and 0s in the map according to what is given to me?

The rightmost 2 columns correspond to $A=1$, or just $A$.
The center columns correspond to $B$.

We have an expression that begins with $B + ...$.
That means that it's true if $B$ is.
So we can fill in all fields corresponding to $B=1$.

\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
{}_{\small{CD}}\backslash{}^{\small{AB}}&\tiny{00}&\tiny{01}&\tiny{11}&\tiny{10} \\
\hline
\tiny{00}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{01}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{11}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{10}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\end{array}

Now we need to add 1's for the other parts of the expression.

For instance $AD$ is represented by:
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
{}_{\small{CD}}\backslash{}^{\small{AB}}&\tiny{00}&\tiny{01}&\tiny{11}&\tiny{10} \\
\hline
\tiny{00}& & & & \\
\hline
\tiny{01}& & & 1& 1\\
\hline
\tiny{11}& & & 1&1 \\
\hline
\tiny{10}& & & & \\
\hline
\end{array}

So $B+AD$ is:
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
\hline
\tiny{00}&0 &1 &1 &0 \\
\hline
\tiny{01}&0 &1 &1 &1\\
\hline
\tiny{11}&0 &1 &1 &1 \\
\hline
\tiny{10}&0 &1 &1 &0 \\
\hline
\end{array}

I like Serena said:
The rightmost 2 columns correspond to $A=1$, or just $A$.
The center columns correspond to $B$.

We have an expression that begins with $B + ...$.
That means that it's true if $B$ is.
So we can fill in all fields corresponding to $B=1$.

\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
\hline
\tiny{00}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{01}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{11}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\tiny{10}&\ & 1&1&\ \\
\hline
\end{array}

Now we need to add 1's for the other parts of the expression.

For instance $AD$ is represented by:
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
\hline
\tiny{00}& & & & \\
\hline
\tiny{01}& & & 1& 1\\
\hline
\tiny{11}& & & 1&1 \\
\hline
\tiny{10}& & & & \\
\hline
\end{array}

So $B+AD$ is:
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|}
\hline
\tiny{00}&0 &1 &1 &0 \\
\hline
\tiny{01}&0 &1 &1 &1\\
\hline
\tiny{11}&0 &1 &1 &1 \\
\hline
\tiny{10}&0 &1 &1 &0 \\
\hline
\end{array}

I get it now! So I just have to make sure all the 1's I fill in corresponds to what it given. Thanks!

FAQ: How to use K-map to prove a boolean equation?

1. What is a K-map and how does it work?

A K-map, short for Karnaugh map, is a graphical method used to simplify boolean algebra expressions. It consists of a grid of squares, with each square representing a possible combination of input variables. The K-map utilizes the concept of adjacency, where adjacent squares in the map differ by only one variable. This method allows for easier identification and simplification of boolean expressions.

2. How do I use a K-map to prove a boolean equation?

To use a K-map to prove a boolean equation, you first need to construct a K-map for the given boolean expression. Then, you need to identify groups of adjacent squares that represent the same output value. These groups can then be combined using boolean algebra rules to simplify the expression and prove its validity.

3. Can a K-map be used for any boolean equation?

Yes, a K-map can be used for any boolean equation, regardless of the number of variables. However, for larger equations with many variables, the K-map can become complex and difficult to use. In these cases, other methods such as Quine-McCluskey algorithm may be more efficient.

4. What are the advantages of using a K-map to prove a boolean equation?

One of the main advantages of using a K-map is its simplicity and visual representation. It allows for easier identification of patterns and groups in boolean expressions, making it easier to simplify and prove the equation. Additionally, K-maps are easy to construct and do not require any complex calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a K-map to prove a boolean equation?

While K-maps can be useful for simple and medium-sized boolean expressions, they can become complex and difficult to use for larger equations with many variables. Additionally, the K-map method may not always provide the most minimal or efficient solution for simplifying a boolean expression. In these cases, other methods such as Quine-McCluskey algorithm may be more suitable.