How to Use Stokes' Theorem for Evaluating Line Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stoke's theorem to evaluate a line integral, specifically the integral \oint y^{3}zdx - x^{3}zdy + 4dz, where C is the curve of intersection of the paraboloid z = 2 + x^{2} + y^{2} and the plane z=5, directed clockwise as viewed from the point (0,0,7). The conversation also includes questions about potential mistakes and a correction regarding the surface S. The final answer is \frac{135\pi}{2}.
jegues

Homework Statement

Use Stoke's theorem to evaluate the line integral

[tex]\oint y^{3}zdx - x^{3}zdy + 4dz[/tex]

where C is the curve of intersection of the paraboloid [tex]z = 2 + x^{2} + y^{2}[/tex] and the plane [tex]z=5[/tex], directed clockwise as viewed from the point (0,0,7).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I doing everything up to this integral correctly? I'm stuck at where I'm at now.

Did I make a mistake along the way?

EDIT: I found one mistake, since my surface S is Z=5, my dS should simply be (1)dA. I fixed my mistakes and found the answer to be [tex]\frac{135\pi}{2}[/tex]

Attachments

• Stokes.jpg
    Stokes.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

Use Stoke's theorem to evaluate the line integral

[tex]\oint y^{3}zdx - x^{3}zdy + 4dz[/tex]

where C is the curve of intersection of the paraboloid [tex]z = 2 + x^{2} + y^{2}[/tex] and the plane [tex]z=5[/tex], directed clockwise as viewed from the point (0,0,7).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I doing everything up to this integral correctly? I'm stuck at where I'm at now.

Did I make a mistake along the way?

EDIT: I found one mistake, since my surface S is Z=5, my dS should simply be (1)dA. I fixed my mistakes and found the answer to be [tex]\frac{135\pi}{2}[/tex]

Check your z component of curl F. You should be able to factor out a z. And with n=-k the integral should come out very easy.

FAQ: How to Use Stokes' Theorem for Evaluating Line Integrals?

1. What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

2. What is the significance of Stokes Theorem?

The significance of Stokes Theorem is that it allows for the calculation of a surface integral over a closed surface by computing a line integral over the boundary of the surface. This makes it a useful tool in vector calculus and has various applications in physics and engineering.

3. What are the conditions for using Stokes Theorem?

The conditions for using Stokes Theorem are that the surface must be smooth and the vector field must be continuously differentiable in the region enclosed by the surface.

4. How is Stokes Theorem related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Stokes Theorem is a higher-dimensional analogue of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Both theorems relate a higher-dimensional integral to a lower-dimensional one. However, Stokes Theorem applies to vector fields while the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus applies to scalar functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating fluid flow around a solid object, calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop, and determining the electric and magnetic fields around a closed loop in electromagnetism.