How to Use Symbols to Solve a Ramp Problem?

• Thread starter Flinze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the car moves from rest toward the ramp with an acceleration of magnitude 2.5 m/s2. At some instant after the car begins moving, a crate is released from rest from some position along the ramp. The crate and car reach the bottom of the ramp at the same instant and at the same speed.
Flinze

Homework Statement

A car is 12 m from the bottom of a ramp that is 8.0 m long at its base and 6.0 m high. The car moves from rest toward the ramp with an acceleration of magnitude 2.5 m/s2. At some instant after the car begins moving, a crate is released from rest from some position along the ramp. The crate and car reach the bottom of the ramp at the same instant and at the same speed. (a) At what distance d up the ramp was the crate released? (b) How many seconds after the car started was the crate released?

Homework Equations

x(t) = xi + vx,i * t + 1/2ax2*t2
vf2=vi2 + 2ad
v(t) = v + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the final symbol of this is d=(xf*ax)/g*sin(theta) . which comes to be 5.1m for question (a). How does one answer this question through just using symbols, my teacher is not allowing us to plug in numbers on the way, but rather plug in everything in the end. I'm also confused at which equation I should use.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a good diagram to define your coordinate system and symbols.

You also have two moving objects, which means you need to use different equations for the two different objects.

This is an involved problem where you will have more than one equation and more than one step.

Start with a good picture. Think about each object and which equations are needed for its motion.

Then consider which quantity connects the motion of the two objects.

Solving with symbols follows just the same route as solving with numbers, but has many benefits.
A key to using it successfully is not to reuse the same symbol for different variables. Each object has its own acceleration, distance, and travel time, and each of these deserves its own symbol. They happen to start with the same speeds and end with the same speeds in this instance, though. I don't think your teacher will mind your plugging in 0 for the initial speeds straight away.

Likes Dr. Courtney

FAQ: How to Use Symbols to Solve a Ramp Problem?

1. How do symbols help in finding an answer?

Symbols can help in finding an answer by providing a visual or abstract representation of a concept or idea. They allow us to communicate complex ideas in a simplified manner and can also help us organize and analyze information more efficiently.

2. What types of symbols are commonly used in finding answers?

There are various types of symbols that are commonly used in finding answers, such as mathematical symbols (e.g. +, -, =), scientific symbols (e.g. %, °C, Ω), and symbolic representations of concepts (e.g. a heart for love, a lightbulb for ideas).

3. How do we know which symbols to use in a particular situation?

The use of symbols in finding answers is dependent on the context and subject matter. For example, mathematical symbols would be most appropriate for solving a math problem, while chemical symbols would be used in a chemistry experiment. It is important to have a basic understanding of the subject and its associated symbols.

4. Can symbols be interpreted differently by different people?

Yes, symbols can be interpreted differently by different people. The meaning of a symbol can be influenced by personal experiences, cultural background, and social context. It is important to clarify the intended meaning of a symbol in order to avoid miscommunication.

5. How can I improve my ability to use symbols to find an answer?

Practice and exposure to various symbols in different contexts can help improve your ability to use symbols to find an answer. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the subject matter and its associated symbols. Additionally, being open to different interpretations and meanings of symbols can also enhance your ability to use them effectively.