How to Visualize a Matrix with Non-Numeric Values in Python?

• Python
  • Thread starter Jozefina Gramatikova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Python
In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a code to produce a matrix with different cells and colors, and using imshow and matplotlib to create graphics. The problem was that the code only works with numbers, but the matrix contains letters. Suggestions were made to replace the letters with numbers and use existing code for visualizing matrices.
Jozefina Gramatikova
TL;DR Summary
Visualising a matrix in Python
As part of a group project, we have been asked to create a code which produces the following matrix:
1582486152029.png

I want to create the graphics of this in a way that looks similar to this:
1582486277482.png

But of course with different number of cells, different colours, etc. The problem is that from what I have found online is that this works if you have only numbers in your matrix, but here we have x,w,m,o. This is the main bit of the program:
1582486543106.png

I have tried to use imshow and matplotlib to create the graphics, but it didn't work. Please tell me what I need to type. Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
You can type code between [code=python] and [/code] tags:
Python:
import sys
for i in range(10):
    print(i)
That's better than pasting images - we can quote from it and refer to line numbers.

You say you've found code that would do what you want if your matrix had numbers. So why not put numbers into it in place of the letters?

Likes scottdave and jedishrfu
I agree with @Ibix. It would also help if you tell us more about the problem to solve. In your first picture I don't see a single matrix, but rather array of metrices, or tensor. In such case, you would rather need a 3D visualization.

There is no obvious rule how to convert 'x', '0', 'm', ... to colors. You could create a matrix of numbers where each of the symbols is replaced by a different number. Then, you can use the code you already used to show a matrix visually on this new matrix.

FAQ: How to Visualize a Matrix with Non-Numeric Values in Python?

1. How do I create a matrix in Python?

To create a matrix in Python, you can use the NumPy library which provides a built-in function called numpy.matrix(). This function takes in a list or an array and converts it into a matrix. You can also manually create a matrix using nested lists or arrays.

2. How do I access elements in a matrix in Python?

You can access elements in a matrix in Python using the index notation. For example, matrix[1,2] will access the element in the second row and third column of the matrix. You can also use slicing to access a range of elements in a matrix.

3. How do I perform operations on matrices in Python?

You can perform operations on matrices in Python using the built-in functions in the NumPy library. Some common operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and transpose. These functions allow you to perform mathematical operations on matrices and manipulate their shape and size.

4. How do I visualize a matrix in Python?

You can visualize a matrix in Python using the matplotlib library. This library provides various functions for creating different types of plots, including scatter plots, line plots, and histograms. You can use these functions to visualize the data in your matrix and gain insights from it.

5. Can I convert a matrix into a different data structure in Python?

Yes, you can convert a matrix into a different data structure in Python using the tolist() function in the NumPy library. This function converts the matrix into a nested list, which can then be converted into other data structures, such as a dictionary or a pandas DataFrame.