How to work out the drop of a ball once the velocity is known

In summary, the student is in trouble not knowing how to work out the velocity of the ball bearing down a curved ramp and off a 0.952m desk. They are stuck as to how to find the distance the ball falls and the velocity the ball will travel. They would appreciate some help from someone who understands the equations and can help them out with the homework.
red888
Hi I am currently doing physics a level and am in a spot of bother not knowing what to do next.

Homework Statement

My data analysis is to project a ball bearing down a curved ramp and off a 0.952m desk. After obtaining the results of how far away the ball lands I am now attempting to comapre them with the theoretical results I get though I am stuck as to how I am supposed to work out that part.

Homework Equations

P.E. = K.e
P.E. = mgh = K.E. = ½ mv²
mgh = ½ mv²
v=u+at
s=ut+1/2at²
v²=u²+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = ½ mv²
gh = ½ v²
2gh = v²
2 x 9.8 x 0.2 = v²
3.92 = v²
√3.92 = 1.98

By placing 0.2 as a height interval I have now worked out the velocity that the ball shall travel at though this is not that helpfull as I have no idea how I am supposed to work out how quickly the ball shall drop due to gravity.

I would really appreciate some help as my textbooks have proven not very good at explaining this and my coursework is due in tommorow.

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
red888 said:
Hi I am currently doing physics a level and am in a spot of bother not knowing what to do next.

Homework Statement

My data analysis is to project a ball bearing down a curved ramp and off a 0.952m desk. After obtaining the results of how far away the ball lands I am now attempting to comapre them with the theoretical results I get though I am stuck as to how I am supposed to work out that part.

Homework Equations

P.E. = K.e
mgh = ½ mv²
v=u+at
s=ut+1/2at²
v²=u²+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = ½ mv²
gh = ½ v²
2gh = v²
2 x 9.8 x 0.2 = v²
3.92 = v²
√3.92 = 1.98

By placing 0.2 as a height interval I have now worked out the velocity that the ball shall travel at though this is not that helpfull as I have no idea how I am supposed to work out how quickly the ball shall drop due to gravity.

I would really appreciate some help as my textbooks have proven not very good at explaining this and my coursework is due in tommorow.

thanks,

The v you have is the initial (horizontal) velocity when the ball comes off the curve and begins to fall. The equations you give, above, don't take x and y components into account. Fortunately, the components can be handled separately. How long would it take a ball, with no initial (downward) velocity, fall 0.952m? Since gravity does not affect the horizontal motion, how far will the ball move horizontally in that time?

Taking into account what has been said by HallsOfIvy, the following little ditty should be used:

s=ut+1/2at²

More information as to the shape of the ramp may be in order... Is the portion where the ball leaves the ramp horizontal i.e. parallel to the x-axis?

Make sure to break your model down into components, for instance the ramp: I assume its a diagonal line and not a curve. And the desk I assume is a straight line. And as for how far away the ball will fall. Simply use your velocity obtained as it rolls along the desk and find the distance traveled as it falls off of the desk.

btw Brendan, your name has an 'a" in it and mine has an "o" pretty kool attempt to steal my first name ;) j/k

Related to How to work out the drop of a ball once the velocity is known

1. What is the formula for calculating the drop of a ball based on its velocity?

The formula for calculating the drop of a ball is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height or drop, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time.

2. How do you measure the velocity of a ball?

The velocity of a ball can be measured using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the ball to drop a certain distance. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. Does air resistance affect the drop of a ball?

Yes, air resistance can affect the drop of a ball. The higher the air resistance, the slower the ball will drop. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of air resistance can be ignored when calculating the drop of a ball.

4. Can the drop of a ball be affected by its mass?

Yes, the mass of a ball can affect its drop. The heavier the ball, the faster it will drop due to the force of gravity acting on it. This is because the formula for calculating the drop of a ball includes the term for acceleration due to gravity, which is directly proportional to mass.

5. How can I use the drop of a ball to calculate its initial velocity?

To calculate the initial velocity of a ball, you can use the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the drop of the ball. This formula assumes no air resistance and a constant acceleration due to gravity.