How to Write (a_1+...+a_n)(b_1+...+b_n) in Einstein Notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Einstein notation to express the expression (a_1+\ldots+a_n)(b_1+\ldots+b_n) and whether or not the term I^{ij}=1 is necessary. It is suggested to use the kronecker delta or the levi-civita symbol instead, but it is noted that this may result in a rotationally invariant expression. Alternative solutions are considered, such as Torquil's suggestion of using a matrix of 1's.
mnb96
Hi!
I want to write the following expression in Einstein notation:

[tex](a_1+\ldots+a_n)(b_1+\ldots+b_n)[/tex]

I tried it by introducing the term [tex]I^{ij}=1[/tex] and writing:

[tex]a_ib_jI^{ij}[/tex]

Are you aware of another, more convenient form for this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
According to the Einstein summation convention, when ever a expression contains one index as a superscript and the same index as a subscript a summation is implied over all values that the index can take. (As defined in Schutz "A First Course in General Relativity")

So what do you need the I super ij for?

I would just write it as

a (superscript i) * b (subscript i) for all values that i can take.

(My LaTex usage is horrible that is why I typed it out.)

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
So what do you need the I super ij for?

I would just write it as

a (superscript i) * b (subscript i) for all values that i can take.

In general

[tex](a_1+\ldots+a_n)(b_1+\ldots+b_n) \neq \sum_{i=1}^{n}a_i\,b_i[/tex]

You probably read too fast: [tex]a^ib_i=a_1b_1+\ldots+ a_nb_n[/tex] and that clearly does not produce all the combinations.
I'm trying to figure out if I really need to introduce that [tex] I^{ij}=1 [/tex] term, or if I can express that by using the kronecker delta or the levi-civita symbol.

Yes, that is correct, but I said one is a superscript and one is a subscript. You have them written as both subscripts.

Yes, I did overlook the parenthesis.

Would it not then just be

a (superscript i) a (subscript i) * b (superscript 1) b (subscript i)

?

Thanks
Matt

Yes, thanks torquil.

Matt

mnb96 said:
You probably read too fast: [tex]a^ib_i=a_1b_1+\ldots+ a_nb_n[/tex] and that clearly does not produce all the combinations.
I'm trying to figure out if I really need to introduce that [tex] I^{ij}=1 [/tex] term, or if I can express that by using the kronecker delta or the levi-civita symbol.

The problem with this is that if you construct an expression out of a, b, the kronecker delta and/or the levi civita symbol, and it has no free indices, it will be rotationally invariant. Your original expression is not rotationally invariant, so you need something else, e.g. your matrix of 1's.

Torquil

Related to How to Write (a_1+...+a_n)(b_1+...+b_n) in Einstein Notation?

1. What is Einstein notation and how is it used in science?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation used in physics and other sciences to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional arrays, such as vectors and tensors. It uses repeated indices to simplify and condense complex mathematical equations.

2. Why is Einstein notation important in scientific research?

Einstein notation allows scientists to express complex equations in a more concise and elegant manner, making it easier to understand and work with. This notation is particularly useful in fields such as relativity and quantum mechanics, where equations can involve multiple dimensions and quantities.

3. How does Einstein notation differ from traditional mathematical notation?

In traditional mathematical notation, each term in an equation is written out explicitly. In Einstein notation, repeated indices indicate a summation over all possible values of that index, eliminating the need for multiple terms. Additionally, Einstein notation uses Greek indices to represent different dimensions or quantities, while traditional notation typically uses subscripts and superscripts.

4. Can Einstein notation be used in any field of science?

Yes, Einstein notation can be used in any field of science that involves multi-dimensional arrays. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, but can also be applied in other fields such as statistics and computer science.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Einstein notation?

One limitation of Einstein notation is that it can be difficult to read and understand for those who are not familiar with it. It also requires a good understanding of indices and summation rules. In some cases, traditional notation may be more appropriate or easier to work with, depending on the complexity of the equation.