How to write imaginary coefficient in excel 2013

In summary, Excel has functions for manipulating complex numbers and you can use the "=complex()" function to input imaginary coefficients. If you encounter an error, you may need to install the Analysis Toolpak. All arithmetic must be done using functions, such as "=improduct()".
fatinnn
i have equation:
ur=2.c(1-v2)/(w.d.i)(1+v2)
i don't know how to write imaginary coefficient in excel.please help:(

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Excel has functions for manipulating complex numbers. A Google search for "excel complex numbers" gave me this as the first hit:

http://mysite.avemaria.edu/jcdaly/Tutorials/ComplexExcel/ComplexNos.html

To see if you have these functions, enter the formula "=complex(2,3)" in a cell. You should get "2+3i". If you get an error, you may have to install the Analysis Toolpak. I remember having to do that in an older version of Excel. My current version (2011 for Mac OS) apparently has it built in.

You have to do all arithmetic using functions. For example, if you have 2+3i in cell A1, you can't use the formula "=2*A1" to multiply it by 2. You have to use "=improduct(2,A1)".

Likes FactChecker

FAQ: How to write imaginary coefficient in excel 2013

1. Can I write imaginary coefficients in Excel 2013?

Yes, Excel 2013 allows you to write imaginary coefficients using the "i" notation, which represents the square root of -1.

2. How do I enter an imaginary coefficient in a cell in Excel 2013?

To enter an imaginary coefficient in a cell in Excel 2013, simply type the coefficient in the format of a real number followed by the letter "i". For example, to enter the coefficient 2i, type "2i" in the cell.

3. Can I perform calculations with imaginary coefficients in Excel 2013?

Yes, Excel 2013 has built-in functions for performing calculations with complex numbers, including imaginary coefficients. These functions include IMAGINARY, IMREAL, and IMCONJUGATE.

4. How can I graph a complex number with an imaginary coefficient in Excel 2013?

To graph a complex number with an imaginary coefficient in Excel 2013, use the "XY (scatter)" chart type and plot the real and imaginary parts of the number on the x and y axes, respectively.

5. Is there a way to format the display of imaginary coefficients in Excel 2013?

Yes, you can change the format of a cell in Excel 2013 to display complex numbers in either rectangular or polar form. Right-click on the cell, select "Format Cells", and choose the desired format under the "Number" tab.