How to write joules per metre squared per second

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joules Per
In summary, the conversation discusses the proper way to write the dimensions for joules per metre squared per second, specifically with regards to a solar panel. The correct notation is J/m^2s, as it represents the amount of energy received per second over a certain area. The conversation also touches on the convention of writing time first in these types of units.
autodidude
This was a question I had in another post, but the main topic was on a similar but different issue...

If I had the dimensions joules per metre squared per second (e.g. like for a solar panel), how would I write that?

I've been told
[tex]\frac{Js}{m^2}[/tex]

But I get [tex]\frac{J}{m^2s}[/tex]

Why is it this:
[tex]\frac{J}{1} \times \frac{s}{m^2}[/tex]
And not:
[tex]\frac{J}{m^2} \times \frac{1}{s} [/tex]

I'm grouping joules over metre squared together whereas everyone I've talked to does the first one - why? And am I wrong for saying 'per metre per second'? Should time come first? What is the convention here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean that each second you are receiving 'x' joules of energy over each square meter then [itex] \frac{J}{m^2 s} [/itex] are the correct units.

I agree with JHamm... you have it correct J/m^2s not Js/m^2
It means Watts per square metre which makes sense when talking about solar panels.

Related to How to write joules per metre squared per second

1. What is the unit of measurement for joules per metre squared per second?

The unit of measurement for joules per metre squared per second is J/m^2/s.

2. How do you calculate joules per metre squared per second?

Joules per metre squared per second is calculated by dividing the amount of energy (in joules) by the area (in square meters) and the time (in seconds).

3. What is the significance of joules per metre squared per second?

Joules per metre squared per second is a unit of measurement for energy flux, or the amount of energy passing through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to measure the rate of energy transfer.

4. How is joules per metre squared per second related to watts per square metre?

Joules per metre squared per second and watts per square metre are equivalent units of measurement for energy flux. One joule per metre squared per second is equal to one watt per square metre.

5. Can joules per metre squared per second be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, joules per metre squared per second can be converted to other units of measurement for energy flux, such as watts per square metre or calories per square centimetre per second. Conversion factors can be used to convert between these units.