How to Write Net Ionic Equations for Na2CO3 + HCl and NaHSO4 + HCl?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing net ionic equations for two reactions involving Na2CO3 + HCl and NaHSO4 + HCl, with pH values of 10.36 and 4.18 respectively. The first reaction is basic and dissociates into OH- ions, while the second reaction is acidic and dissociates into H+ ions. The speaker is struggling with writing these equations and asks for help. They also mention the need to balance the reactions and the possibility of carbonic acid decomposing into carbon dioxide.
chemdud
I have no idea how to write these two reactions as net ionic equations in order to show relevancy to their respective pH:

Na2CO3 + HCl (pH of 10.36) I know that it dissociates into OH- ions since it has a very basic pH

and

NaHSO4 + HCl (pH of 4.18) I also know that this dissociates into H+ ions since the pH is very acidic. However, I am terrible at these types of equations and desperately need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How in the world does HCl give you a pH of 10.36?

Show the reaction completely as ions for the reactants and the products. Write these all fully. Then, just rewrite without all of the non-acting ions which seemed to not participate in the reaction. Note that in your first reaction you will drive ... WHAT? Why do you indicate a pH of 10.60 ? Your solution of NaCO3 might begin with that pH, but how far do you want it to go in the neutralization? All the way, or just part of the way? My guess is you want complete neutralization. Be sure you balance the reaction for this. First step is carbonate to bicarbonate; second step is bicarbonate to carbonic acid and you may lose this through decomposition to carbon dioxide.

FAQ: How to Write Net Ionic Equations for Na2CO3 + HCl and NaHSO4 + HCl?

What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only includes the species that participate in a chemical reaction. This means that spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction, are omitted.

Why is writing a net ionic equation important?

Writing a net ionic equation allows us to focus on the key reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. This can help us better understand the underlying chemistry and make predictions about the products of a reaction.

How do I write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the overall balanced chemical equation. Then, identify any spectator ions and cross them out. Finally, rewrite the equation using only the participating species.

What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a chemical reaction but do not participate in the reaction. They remain unchanged throughout the reaction and are typically found on both the reactant and product side of the equation.

Can I write a net ionic equation for any reaction?

No, not all reactions have a net ionic equation. Some reactions, such as single displacement reactions and combustion reactions, may not have any spectator ions and therefore cannot be simplified to a net ionic equation.

Back