How Useful is a CS Minor Outside of Software Development?

• Thread starter stgermaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Minor
In summary, a math major is considering a CS minor or a stats minor and is asking how useful a CS minor would be in careers outside of software development. The person responding believes that both minors are beneficial, but thinks that a stats minor may be more applicable to a wider range of careers. They also mention that upper level programming courses may not be as useful as statistics in most cases. They suggest getting a stats minor and learning programming at your own pace for fun.
stgermaine
Hi. I'm a math major and I am considering either a CS minor or a stats minor.

The question I have is how useful a CS minor would be, especially in careers outside of software development. I would have to stay an extra semester for a stats minor, but I see a stats minor as more applicable towards a wider range of careers. I have taken some programming courses because I know programming is useful as well, but upper level courses like data structures or machine learning don't seem as useful for a wider range of careers.

So, how useful would a CS minor be outside of software development?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer for everyone, so I will answer for myself. Something I appreciate in a new engineering hire is stats, because it is really useful in my field. I could probably find stuff to do for a new hire with some extra programming, but I would prefer the stats. Now, your case is different, because you have a math degree and not an engineering degree, however, I think the principle is the same here. Statistics is a broadly applicable skill across many different disciplines. Programming is handy too, but I see less call for it above really basic stuff, which you seem to already know. In my opinion, data structures is less useful in most cases than knowing how to create a DOE or deal with a split-plot.

stgermaine said:
Hi. I'm a math major and I am considering either a CS minor or a stats minor.

The question I have is how useful a CS minor would be, especially in careers outside of software development. I would have to stay an extra semester for a stats minor, but I see a stats minor as more applicable towards a wider range of careers. I have taken some programming courses because I know programming is useful as well, but upper level courses like data structures or machine learning don't seem as useful for a wider range of careers.

So, how useful would a CS minor be outside of software development?

Thank you

I think both minors are good to have. I'm not an expert or anything but if it was me i would go with the statistics minor and then teach yourself some more programming at your own pace if you want. I think it's more fun to program on your free time then it is to do statistics.

Related to How Useful is a CS Minor Outside of Software Development?

1. How is a CS minor beneficial for a non-STEM major?

A CS minor can provide valuable technical skills and knowledge that can supplement a non-STEM major. It can also make you stand out in the job market as it shows that you have a diverse skill set and can adapt to different industries.

2. Will a CS minor be enough to secure a job in the tech industry?

While a CS minor can provide a solid foundation in computer science, it may not be enough to secure a job in the tech industry on its own. Employers will also consider other factors such as relevant experience, projects, and skills in addition to a CS minor.

3. Can a CS minor help with career advancement?

A CS minor can definitely help with career advancement, especially if you are in a field that utilizes technology. It can open up opportunities for technical roles and also provide a better understanding of technology in your current job.

4. How does a CS minor compare to a CS major?

A CS minor is typically less intensive than a CS major and may not cover as many advanced topics. However, it can still provide a solid understanding of computer science principles and can be a good option for those who want to supplement their major with technical skills.

5. Can I pursue a CS minor if I have no prior coding experience?

Yes, a CS minor can be pursued by students with no prior coding experience. However, it may require more effort and dedication to catch up with students who have taken coding courses before. It is important to have a strong interest in computer science and be willing to put in the necessary effort to succeed.