How using a mirror to find the tangent at a point on the curve works

In summary, to find the tangent at a point on any curve, one can place a mirror on that point and reflect the part of the curve on one side of the point. By ensuring that the reflection flows smoothly into the other part of the curve, the line drawn along the mirror will be perpendicular to the tangent. This method works regardless of whether the point is the point of symmetry or not. The underlying principle is based on the law of reflection and the sum of angles in a triangle. Experimentation or accurate diagrams can help in understanding this principle further.
lokifenrir96
Hi, I recently learned that to find the tangent at a point on any curve, you can simply place a mirror on that point and reflect the part of the curve on one side of that point such that the reflection flows smoothly into the other part of the curve on the other side. Once this is done, draw a line along the mirror, and this line would be perpendicular to the tangent.

However, I do not understand the principle behind this method. How exactly does ensuring that the reflection of one side of the curve flows smoothly into the other side result in the mirror being perpendicular to the tangent?

My best guess as of now is that the point must be the point about which the curve is exactly symmetrical, in which case it would make sense that if you reflect one part of the curve into the other part, the perpendicular line which you draw along the mirror would be the line of symmetry. But doesn't this mean that this method would not work if your point is not the point of symmetry?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

You should actually do it. Draw a random curve and get a mirror.

If the mirror is not on the normal to the curve, then the reflection + the curve line will show a sharp bend at the mirror. Any curve that starts at that point, to be continuous, must join at the tangent angle so it does not matter that the actual curve is not a mirror reflection. Just try drawing a line where this does not happen.

Oh, so let me see if I understand you correctly.

If we have a curve, and the point we are taking the tangent about is X, and to the right of X is A, and to the left of X is B.

If we put a mirror at X which reflects A, the reflection must flow into A, but it does not need to flow into B. (Though my notes mentioned that the reflection must flow into both A and B?)

And as long as the A and the reflection are continuous, the mirror will definitely be at a normal to X.

So it does not matter whether the curve is symmetrical about X.

Is that right?

Okay, I can understand that if you perform this on a hundred different curves, the result will always be the same. But what I wish to know is not the rule derived from experimentation, but rather, the principle behind this rule. Or is this one of those scenarios where there is no explanation, but that it just works?

If you're interested, here's a video that explains it, and also gives some examples of its real life applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRsap2_RAc

If you'd like to do some Maths on it yourself to see why it works, draw two non parallel lines that intersect, and label the acute angle between them as [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Now, draw a ray hitting the first line (imagining it's a mirror), and then at the point of contact between these two lines, draw a dotted perpendicular line. The angle between the perpendicular and the light ray can be labelled [itex]\theta[/itex].

Now as you should know due to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection, so you'll need to label the angle between the perpendicular and the ray bouncing away from the line as [itex]\theta[/itex] as well.

Now do the same with the ray bouncing from the first line into the second, but this time with another angle, say, [itex]\phi[/itex].

What algebraic formulae can you up with to describe this situation? Think about the triangle with the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], and the sum of the angles in a triangle. And then look for a second relationship.

Ah - thank you mentallic.
I was about to explain that this will only work for continuous curves.
I was suggesting the experiment because in the act of doing it realisation of the underlying principle will come.

Simon Bridge said:
Ah - thank you mentallic.
I was about to explain that this will only work for continuous curves.
Well of course if we found a tangent at a point where the curve isn't continuous, we're doing it wrong :smile:

Simon Bridge said:
I was suggesting the experiment because in the act of doing it realisation of the underlying principle will come.
Or if you can't get two mirrors that are free to rotate, some accurate diagrams will do just as well.

I think you can see the effect with just one plane mirror.

Related to How using a mirror to find the tangent at a point on the curve works

1. How does using a mirror help in finding the tangent at a point on a curve?

Using a mirror can help visualize the tangent at a point on a curve by reflecting the curve and creating a line that is perpendicular to the tangent at that point. This makes it easier to understand the concept of tangents and how they relate to the curve.

2. What is the process of using a mirror to find the tangent at a point on a curve?

The process involves placing a mirror on the curve at the desired point and aligning it so that the reflected curve forms a straight line. The normal to this line is the tangent at that point on the curve.

3. Can a mirror be used to find the tangent at any point on a curve?

Yes, a mirror can be used to find the tangent at any point on a curve as long as the mirror is placed accurately and the reflected curve forms a straight line.

4. Are there any limitations to using a mirror to find the tangent at a point on a curve?

One limitation is that the mirror must be placed accurately in order to reflect the curve and create a straight line. Additionally, this method may not work well for more complex curves or curves with sharp turns.

5. How accurate is using a mirror to find the tangent at a point on a curve?

Using a mirror can provide a fairly accurate visualization of the tangent at a point on a curve. However, for more precise calculations, mathematical methods such as differentiation may be necessary.