How Virtual Particles Give Rise to the electromagnetic force

In summary, the Lorentz force, which is responsible for the interaction between moving charged particles and magnetic fields, can be explained in terms of virtual force carriers known as virtual photons. These virtual photons carry spin and are responsible for the magnetic part of the interaction between charged particles. However, for interacting fermions, the electric force is directly related to the electric and magnetic fields, rather than virtual photons.
AustinLee
Hello,

Recently I have learned that magnetism causes the Lorentz force. The electric force makes sense to me in terms of virtual photons. But how do virtual photons give rise to magnetism and the Lorentz force. Is it because when the charged particle moves through an magnetic field it comes into contact with the virtual photons differently. It just seems strange the Lorentz force is perpendicular to the velocity and magnetic field to me. I know virtual photons are math constructs, and the electric and magnetic force are the same, but can somemone explain the Lorentz force in terms of virtual force carriers.

Physics news on Phys.org
AustinLee said:
Hello,

Recently I have learned that magnetism causes the Lorentz force. The electric force makes sense to me in terms of virtual photons. But how do virtual photons give rise to magnetism and the Lorentz force. Is it because when the charged particle moves through an magnetic field it comes into contact with the virtual photons differently. It just seems strange the Lorentz force is perpendicular to the velocity and magnetic field to me. I know virtual photons are math constructs, and the electric and magnetic force are the same, but can somemone explain the Lorentz force in terms of virtual force carriers.

Its the right hand rule! but if you check out (Lorentz force Wikipedia) that should set you right

AustinLee said:
Hello,

What you are saying about virtual photons is true only for interacting fermions which are asymptotically free. For example, if you have an electron moving through a homogeneous electric field, the electric force is the charge multiplied by the electric field; it has nothing to do with virtual photons; electrons interact directly with the photon field which forms the electrostatic potential. If you have an electron moving through a homogeneous magnetic field, electrons interact directly with the magnetic vector potential which is formed from the photon field if you like (you can think of it as a sort of Bose condensate of real photons although to my knowledge it is not usually discussed this way).

If you are talking about two electrons which scatter off one another, then it is true that they are repelled due to exchange of virtual photons. These virtual photons also carry spin, which gives the magnetic part of the interaction, so in your language the magnetic force between two electrons arises from the spin of the photons.

FAQ: How Virtual Particles Give Rise to the electromagnetic force

1. How do virtual particles give rise to the electromagnetic force?

Virtual particles are fluctuations in the quantum vacuum that constantly form and disappear. These fluctuations create an electromagnetic field, which is responsible for the electromagnetic force.

2. What is the role of virtual particles in the electromagnetic force?

Virtual particles are the carriers of the electromagnetic force. They mediate interactions between charged particles, allowing for the transfer of energy and the creation of electric and magnetic fields.

3. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed because they exist for a very short amount of time and do not have a physical presence. However, their effects on the electromagnetic force can be observed and measured.

4. How do virtual particles differ from real particles?

Virtual particles have a temporary existence and do not have all the properties of real particles, such as mass and charge. They also do not follow the laws of classical physics and can only be described through quantum mechanics.

5. Can virtual particles be manipulated or controlled?

Since virtual particles are a natural occurrence in the quantum vacuum, they cannot be directly manipulated or controlled. However, their effects on the electromagnetic force can be influenced through the manipulation of electric and magnetic fields.