How would I find a UV-VIS spectra of human urine?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a UV-VIS absorbance spectra of urine. While there are some options available, such as using a spectrophotometer or researching at a university library, the variability of urine composition and the cost of equipment may make it difficult to obtain clear data. However, there is potential for using UV-VIS absorbance spectra for disease diagnosis in urine.
lostminty
Preferably I would like to find a UV-VIS absorbance spectra of urine.

I have found ones that focus on the deep UV range, and one that had fluorescence peak information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Same way you take the absorbance spectra of any other sample. Get a spectrometer, read the manual, do the experiment.

That is my plan B. But a spectrophotometer costs 125NZD/hour :(

going to the uni library to look in their volumes tomorrow morning

Let us know the answer. It is interesting to know, and what these fluorescences/absorbtions are due to, though till you have instrument access you will not be able to use if for anything.

ok :)

found something useful, for me at least. 450nm. Where Bilirubin absorbancy peaks. Bilirubin giving urine its hue.

http://jb.oxfordjournals.org/content/116/2/298.short you'd likely find something like this. Diazo compounds give strong uv-vis absorbances. You'd likely end up with a huge mess of peaks with some identifiable and most others not. What is in urine is highly dependent upon food intake, so the spectra would vary widely from person to person and day to day. There is the potential for diagnosis of diseases through urinary spectra, but I'm not sure whether that's a practiced method anywhere yet. I saw a couple of papers that used HPLC with UV spec to determine if specific compounds were present in urine, but i wouldn't expect an overall spectral determination to yield clear data.

Likes 1 person

Related to How would I find a UV-VIS spectra of human urine?

1. How do I collect human urine for UV-VIS spectroscopy?

To collect human urine for UV-VIS spectroscopy, you will first need to obtain a urine sample from the individual. This can be done by having them urinate directly into a clean container or by using a catheter to collect the urine directly from the bladder. It is important to ensure that the sample is free from any contaminants before proceeding with the spectroscopy.

2. What is the best method for preparing human urine for UV-VIS spectroscopy?

The best method for preparing human urine for UV-VIS spectroscopy is to first centrifuge the sample to remove any solid particles. Then, the sample should be diluted with a suitable solvent, such as water or a buffer solution, to achieve a concentration that is within the linear range of the instrument. It is also important to ensure that the sample is properly mixed before analysis.

3. How can I determine the optimal wavelength range for analyzing human urine with UV-VIS spectroscopy?

The optimal wavelength range for analyzing human urine with UV-VIS spectroscopy can be determined by performing a preliminary scan of the sample across a broad range of wavelengths, such as 200-800 nm. This will allow you to identify the wavelengths at which the sample exhibits the greatest absorbance, which can then be used for further analysis.

4. What are the main components that can be detected in human urine using UV-VIS spectroscopy?

Some of the main components that can be detected in human urine using UV-VIS spectroscopy include urea, creatinine, uric acid, and various metabolites and proteins. The specific components present in a urine sample will depend on factors such as the individual's diet and overall health.

5. How can I interpret the results of a UV-VIS spectrum of human urine?

To interpret the results of a UV-VIS spectrum of human urine, you will need to compare the spectrum to a known reference spectrum or consult a database of UV-VIS spectra of urine components. The absorbance peaks observed in the spectrum can provide information about the concentration and identity of different components present in the sample.