How would i measure the frequency, of a song, or sounds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the means of measuring various frequencies in music through signal analysis using a microphone and specific software. It also mentions the involvement of physics and the need for notes or explanations. The conversation also discusses the importance of considering the different patterns in music, whether they are related to pitch, melody, or history.
Senjai
Just curious, what would be a means of measuring various frequencies of music?

Obviously you would require a microphone, and then what? Would you need a specific type of software? What are the types of physics that would be involved...

Would anyone be able to refer me to some notes or explinations?

I want to look at certain geometric patterns in music over history.

Regards,
Senjai

Physics news on Phys.org
for signal analysis, you will need:

1) the music as a data-file in waveform (pressure vs. time)
2) Any software that can Fourier transform the data (Goldwave is one I know of that has a free version)

You also have to think about what you're asking. The Fourier transform will show the higher frequencies that correspond with the pitches (the notes played) but it will also have low frequencies that correspond to the beat of the music and have nothing to do with the pitch.

For instance, if you play a middle A four times with 6 seconds in between, your Fourier transform will show a peak for the 10 Hz signal from the beat, but also a peak for the 440 Hz signal from the pitch of the note).

I'm interested in what "patterns" you are looking for. Are you talking about the patterns mentioned by pythagorean above, or are you more concerned with the patterns in the melody or harmony? I ask as you mention "over history" and wondered what this actually involves.

FAQ: How would i measure the frequency, of a song, or sounds?

1. What is the unit of measurement for frequency?

The unit of measurement for frequency is Hertz (Hz). This measures the number of cycles per second that a sound wave completes.

2. How can I measure the frequency of a song or sound?

To measure the frequency of a song or sound, you can use a device called a frequency counter. This device measures the number of cycles per second and displays it as a numerical value.

3. Can I measure the frequency of a song using a regular ruler or measuring tape?

No, a regular ruler or measuring tape is not suitable for measuring frequency. These tools are used for measuring length and cannot accurately measure the cycles per second of a sound wave.

4. Is there a difference between the frequency of a song and the pitch of a song?

Yes, there is a difference between frequency and pitch. Frequency refers to the number of cycles per second of a sound wave, while pitch is how high or low a sound is perceived by the human ear. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches and vice versa.

5. Can I measure the frequency of a song using a smartphone app?

Yes, there are several smartphone apps available that can measure the frequency of a song or sound. These apps use the device's microphone to pick up the sound and then display the frequency as a numerical value. However, the accuracy of these apps may vary.

Back