How would I prove this by induction?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tony700
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses proving a statement by induction. The statement being proved is a particular case of the binomial theorem. The conversation also mentions the use of three identities, and the importance of showing the base case is true. The induction hypothesis and induction step are also mentioned.
tony700
How would I prove this by induction?

$$\sum_{k=0}^n\frac{n!}{n^kk!(n-k)!}=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n^n}$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by writing the induction hypothesis as:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n\left({n \choose k}\frac{1}{n^k}\right)=\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n\)

We can see this is simply a statement of a particular case of the binomial theorem. As such, we will find the following 3 identities useful:

[box=blue]\(\displaystyle {r \choose 0}=1\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle {r \choose r}=1\tag{2}\)

\(\displaystyle {k \choose r}+{k \choose r-1}={k+1 \choose r}\tag{3}\)

where $(k,r)\in\mathbb{N}$ and $r\le k$[/box]

So, the first thing we want to do is show the base case $P_1$ is true:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^1\left({1 \choose k}\frac{1}{1^k}\right)=\left(1+\frac{1}{1}\right)^1\)

We can see this simplifies to:

\(\displaystyle 2=2\quad\checkmark\)

So, we restate our induction hypothesis $P_n$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n\left({n \choose k}\frac{1}{n^k}\right)=\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n\)

What do you suppose our induction step should be?

FAQ: How would I prove this by induction?

1. How do I choose the base case when using induction?

When using mathematical induction, you must prove that the statement holds true for the first value in the set. This value is known as the base case. Typically, the base case is the simplest value in the set, such as 0 or 1. However, in some cases, you may need to choose a different base case, depending on the problem.

2. How do I write the inductive hypothesis?

The inductive hypothesis is a statement that assumes the statement holds true for some value, and then proves that it also holds true for the next value. To write the inductive hypothesis, you can start by assuming the statement is true for a general value, such as n. Then, use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for n+1.

3. Do I need to prove the statement for all values?

No, when using mathematical induction, you only need to prove the statement for a specific set of values. Typically, this set includes the base case and all subsequent values. Once you have proven the statement for these values, it can be assumed to hold true for all values in the set.

4. Can I use mathematical induction to prove all statements?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that follow a specific pattern, known as the inductive hypothesis. This means that not all statements can be proven using induction. It is important to carefully examine the statement and determine if it can be proven using this method.

5. How do I know when to use strong or weak induction?

Strong and weak induction are two forms of mathematical induction. Strong induction uses the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is true for all values up to a certain value, while weak induction only uses the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is true for the next value. The type of induction you should use depends on the problem and the statement you are trying to prove. In general, strong induction is more powerful, but may not be necessary for simpler problems.