How would one describe the universe in which

In summary, there is a modified version of the Maxwell equations (in differential form) for an imaginary universe that has no electromagnetic waves. This universe still has the other Maxwell equations in differential form, but the last term is changed to ∂→B/∂t instead of ∂E/dt. It is not clear how one would derive these equations for this universe or what the consequences of having no EM waves would be. It is also important to note that nearly everything we observe is through EM waves and they play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. Additionally, the standard model is interconnected and changing one part can affect others.
rabidwolverine
there are no electromagnetic waves? All I know is that there is a modified version of the Maxwell equations (in differential form) for such a universe, such as (the arrows represent vector arrows):
→∇x →B = μ0 →j + μ0 ε0 ∂→B/∂t instead of having ∂E/dt in the last term (which would be the case for the normal universe; also the other Maxwell equations in differential form stay the same for the real universe and this EMW-less universe, apparently).

How would one derive the Maxwell's equations for this imaginary universe that has no electromagnet waves, in their simplest form? What are the consequences of such an EMW-less universe, i.e. what do no EMW's describe/imply for the universe and the bodies within it? Also, based on some google searches I realized that apparently sine and cosine can not be solutions of these equations?

Finally, I would like to add that this topic is well beyond scope of our physics class's syllabus but was just given to us as an additional guided reading but I do not understand how one can answer this abstract yet math-dependent question. Therefore, I would appreciate any detailed input. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've posted the answer in that other universe. Oh wait, you can't read it without light.

Nearly everything we observe is observed through EM waves. The atoms we touch are largely empty except for their electrical charges. The light we see is an EM wave. Sound is a compression wave compressing gasses through their electric charge. About the only common effect that isn't EM related is gravity, and even there, the electric charge of the atoms in the ground keeps us from falling to the center of the earth.

BTW, I recently learned Maxwell's equations can be derived from relativity, given that charges exist. They can be derived from Quantum theory similarly.

The standard model isn't a bunch of isolated facts. It all fits together. Changing one part affects (and largely negates) other parts.

Related to How would one describe the universe in which

1. How would one describe the universe in which we live?

The universe in which we live is vast, complex, and ever-expanding. It is made up of billions of galaxies, each containing billions of stars and planets. It is governed by the laws of physics and constantly evolving.

2. What is the size of the universe?

The size of the universe is currently unknown and may be infinite. Scientists estimate that the observable universe is about 93 billion light-years in diameter, but beyond that, the universe may continue infinitely.

3. Is the universe finite or infinite?

The universe may be infinite, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that the universe is finite but unbounded, while others propose that it is truly infinite.

4. What is the composition of the universe?

The universe is primarily made up of dark matter and dark energy, which together make up about 95% of its total mass and energy. The remaining 5% is made up of visible matter, such as stars, planets, and interstellar gas and dust.

5. How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years old. This age is determined by measuring the expansion rate of the universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation.