How would one draw reflected wavefronts?

• B
  • Thread starter Physical_Fire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to draw reflected wavefronts using a protractor, pencil, and ruler. The speaker is unsure about the concept and has attached an image for reference. They are instructed to draw the mirror image of the attached image and then reflect it using the same method as shown in another figure. The conversation ends with the speakers being reminded of their basic understanding of reflection and wavefronts and the thread being closed.
Physical_Fire
How would one draw reflected wavefronts? I do not get this concept. I have attached a question below, and I do not necessarily ask anyone to solve this but teach me on how to provided that I have a protractor, a pencil and a ruler.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1690635834444.png
    1690635834444.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
Physical_Fire said:
How would one draw reflected wavefronts? I do not get this concept. I have attached a question below, and I do not necessarily ask anyone to solve this but teach me on how to provided that I have a protractor, a pencil and a ruler.

Thanks
I wonder if I'm understanding your question correctly.
This is an easy Google image search for "reflected wavefronts".
Here is a result for reflection:
1690638847882.jpeg

Here's refracted:
1024px-Refraction_-_Huygens-Fresnel_principle.svg.png

Can you draw the reflected ray? If so, the reflected wavefronts would be perpendicular to the reflected ray.

If I use that logic, it doesn't work here:

Attachments

• 1690639731237.png
    1690639731237.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 72
.Scott said:
I wonder if I'm understanding your question correctly.
I don't think so you did. I meant on how to draw in relation to the image I have attached.

Physical_Fire said:
I don't think so you did. I meant on how to draw in relation to the image I have attached.
Draw the mirror image of the attached image about a plane perpendicular to the reflecting surface.

Then, how do you reflect this one?

Attachments

• 1690640628716.png
    1690640628716.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 63
Physical_Fire said:
Then, how do you reflect this one?
The same way as shown in the top figure in post #2. What's your problem?

Please describe what you think those graphs are showing.
Tell us what you know about reflection and wave fronts.
Your questions appear to be profoundly elemental.

Time to close this thread as the OP has received some excellent answers and needs some time to ponder them.

Thank you all for contributing here.

Jedi

FAQ: How would one draw reflected wavefronts?

What is a wavefront in the context of wave reflection?

A wavefront is an imaginary surface representing points of a wave that oscillate in unison. In the context of wave reflection, it refers to the wavefronts of the incident wave and the reflected wave, which are mirror images of each other across the reflecting surface.

How do you determine the angle of reflection for a wavefront?

The angle of reflection is determined by the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. These angles are measured with respect to the normal (a line perpendicular) to the reflecting surface at the point of incidence.

What tools or materials are needed to draw reflected wavefronts?

To draw reflected wavefronts, you typically need graph paper, a ruler, a protractor, and a pencil. These tools help in accurately measuring angles and distances to ensure the wavefronts are drawn precisely.

Can you explain the step-by-step process to draw reflected wavefronts?

1. Draw the reflecting surface and mark the point of incidence where the wavefront meets the surface.2. Draw the normal line at the point of incidence.3. Measure the angle of incidence between the incident wavefront and the normal.4. Using the law of reflection, measure and draw the angle of reflection on the other side of the normal.5. Draw the reflected wavefronts parallel to each other, maintaining the same spacing as the incident wavefronts.

How do you ensure accuracy when drawing reflected wavefronts?

To ensure accuracy, use precise measurement tools like a protractor and ruler, and carefully measure angles and distances. Double-check your work by verifying that the angles of incidence and reflection are equal and that the reflected wavefronts are parallel and equidistant, just like the incident wavefronts.

Back