HP Simple Save 500GB External Hard Drive: ACCESS DENIED

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary: I hope all is well. Unfortunately, I don't think your data is anywhere on your computer anymore- I formatted it when I got your message. But don't worry, you're not alone. A lot of people are having this problem with their data. I suggest buying a backup drive ASAP.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, long time no see! :-D

Well the subject line pretty much says it all. When I plug in my Simple Save external HD it does turn on, and my computer does recognize it. But when I try to open it I get an error message "F:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." Also, when I plug it in Windows offers to "scan and fix" the problem. When I select this option, Windows promplty informs me that it doesn't have access to the files. Does anyone know how I can get to my files? I hope so!

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey Tom! Good to see you.

Try right-click the drive in Windows Explorer, Properties, Security, Advanced and see what the ownership properties are.

Now stick around a bit, would ya!? :)

"Unable to display current owner"

:-\

Tom Mattson said:
"Unable to display current owner"

:-\

How were you accessing the files before?

You need to take ownership of the files and reassign permissions to allow you to have full access to the drive. Here's what you do. I'm assuming you have windows XP and the steps outlined are for that but if you have windows 7, its still essentially identical.

You need to be running under an admin account to do this:
Start>My Computer
Right Click on your external Drive > Properties > Security
Click Advanced in the bottom right (Special Permissions)
Click on the owner tab > Select your account from the list
Place a check mark on "Replace owner on sub-containers & objects"
Click OK

The system will now assign the account you selected as the owner of the drive and all files in it.

You should be back on the properties window now and see your account name listed in the "Group or user names" list. Select your account name (add it if it doesn't exist) and place a check mark in the ALLOW full control check box. Remove any check marks in the deny boxes if there are any.

Click OK

This will make you the owner of all the files/folders in the external drive and give you full access to the drive.

I was having some problems with Windows 7 not letting me assign permissions to myself even though I was using the Administrator account. I finally found this article on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-trusted-installer-denying-access-to-files/5203914d-9357-4b71-a4c5-a2d11d392fff" which invoves a process of first taking ownership, close the properties window, reopen the properties window, and then give yourself permission. Closing and reopening is important. The few times that I left out that step, Windows explorer hung on me and I had to log off to free it up. It didn't appear to create any long-term problems though.

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy: I don't know what a "Live Linux distro" is, so no.

Greg: I was accessing the files before by simply clicking on the drive on my computer. One day I tried to do it and it wouldn't work. Got the Access Denied message.

Routaran and Borg: Thanks. I'm trying Borg's link first, as it is specific to Windows 7 (my OS). Changing ownership seems to be taking a bit of time, so I'm waiting it out right now. We'll see...

Well folks, thanks for responding but none of the proposed solutions worked. I bit the bullet and formatted the disk. Data's gone, but at least I have use of the HD again. Fortunately all the files were music files, so I can run my CDs through my computer again, and I'm told that iTunes will remember what I purchased and not charge me a second time (I hope that's right). I'll definitely be backing up all those files on DVDs once I get them back on the computer. Thanks again.

You might want to run out and buy a backup drive ASAP. Thailand, the source of the vast majority of our disk drives, has been flooded. The prices of disk drives are about to go sky high, and that is assuming you can find one to buy at all. The available supply of disk drives is predicted by some to be completely depleted early in 2012.

Oh, yeah, welcome back!

Related to HP Simple Save 500GB External Hard Drive: ACCESS DENIED

1. Why am I getting an "Access Denied" error when trying to access my HP Simple Save external hard drive?

There could be several reasons for this error. It could be due to a corrupted or damaged file system on the hard drive, a hardware malfunction, or a security setting on your computer that is blocking access to the drive.

2. How can I fix the "Access Denied" error on my HP Simple Save external hard drive?

First, try connecting the hard drive to a different computer to see if the issue persists. If it does, then the issue is likely with the hard drive itself. You can try running a disk repair or recovery tool to fix any file system errors. If the issue is with a security setting, you may need to adjust your computer's permissions to allow access to the drive.

3. Can I recover my data if I am getting an "Access Denied" error on my HP Simple Save external hard drive?

If the issue is with the hard drive itself, data recovery may be possible using specialized software or by sending the drive to a professional data recovery service. However, there is no guarantee that all of your data will be recoverable.

4. How can I prevent "Access Denied" errors on my HP Simple Save external hard drive?

To avoid future errors, make sure to properly eject the hard drive before disconnecting it from your computer. Also, regularly back up your data to another storage device to prevent data loss in case of hardware failures. Additionally, keep your computer and all connected devices, including the external hard drive, updated with the latest software and security patches.

5. Is it possible to retrieve data from an HP Simple Save external hard drive that is showing an "Access Denied" error?

In most cases, yes. If the issue is with the hard drive itself, data recovery may be possible using specialized software or by sending the drive to a professional data recovery service. However, there is no guarantee that all of your data will be recoverable.