HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, to use linear regression on a series of data points Y vs. X, go to STATS > FIT DATA and choose Linear Fit for the Model, and X-Col and Y-Col as 1 and 2, respectively. Make sure your data is entered correctly in the matrix editor.
Whalstib
Hi,

I'm taking 3rd semester chemistry and we often have to take a series of for instance:
Absorbance vs. concentrations data.

Usually a series 5 experiments with the goal to have a spread sheet type answer. I use Excel or what ever I have handy just to find the y=mx + b value for "m".

I want to use my HP50G to accomplish this while in class.

I looked in the HP50G manual and there does appear to be a way to create trend lines but is not working for me. The examples are a bit more involved in the answers.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong in the chose of which menu to use... I know my inputs are correct and formatted correctly so either this isn't possible or as I said I'm starting out on the wrong foot.

here's what I've been doing according to the manual:

Stats > Fit data > Linear Fit
I enter the data in A column=x axis, B column=Y axis

Answers not in the format I need.
None of the other choses seem to get me there either..

is there a simple way to do what I'm attempting so I have this with me always?

thanks,

Whalstib

Computer science news on Phys.org
Actually All I'm after is a way to use a linear regression on a series of data points Y vs. X.

Any advise welcome.

Whalstib

Whalstib said:
Hi,

I'm taking 3rd semester chemistry and we often have to take a series of for instance:
Absorbance vs. concentrations data.

Usually a series 5 experiments with the goal to have a spread sheet type answer. I use Excel or what ever I have handy just to find the y=mx + b value for "m".

I want to use my HP50G to accomplish this while in class.

I looked in the HP50G manual and there does appear to be a way to create trend lines but is not working for me. The examples are a bit more involved in the answers.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong in the chose of which menu to use... I know my inputs are correct and formatted correctly so either this isn't possible or as I said I'm starting out on the wrong foot.

here's what I've been doing according to the manual:

Stats > Fit data > Linear Fit
I enter the data in A column=x axis, B column=Y axis

Answers not in the format I need.
None of the other choses seem to get me there either..

is there a simple way to do what I'm attempting so I have this with me always?

thanks,

Whalstib

STATS > FIT DATA

You should see a screen that shows [tex]\sigma[/tex]DAT, X-Col, Y-Col, and Model. Choose Linear Fit for the Model, and X-Col and Y-Col as 1 and 2, respectively. When entering data, make sure that the X values are listed in the first column, and the Y values are listed in the second column (as per your settings). Here's a sample data set:

(1,5) (2,10) (3,15) (4,20)

On the calculator, this should appear in the matrix editor as as:

1 5
2 10
3 15
4 20

Upon pressing OK, you should see:

[itex]0.+5. \cdot X[/itex]
Correlation: 1.
Covariance: 8.3333333333

This means your "m" is 5. and your "b" is 0.

FAQ: HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily

What is the purpose of "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily"?

The purpose of "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" is to provide a tool for easily solving and analyzing absorbance vs. concentration data in scientific experiments.

How does "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" work?

"HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" uses a combination of mathematical algorithms and data input to generate trend lines and calculate concentrations from absorbance data.

Is "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" user-friendly?

Yes, "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use for scientists and researchers of all levels.

Can "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" be used for any type of absorbance data?

Yes, "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" can be used for any type of absorbance data, as long as the data is in a compatible format for input into the program.

Are there any limitations to using "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily"?

While "HP50G Trend Lines: Solve Absorbance vs. Concentrations Easily" is a powerful tool for analyzing absorbance data, it may have limitations in complex or unique experimental conditions. It is always important to carefully review and validate results from any scientific tool.

Back